Psychiatric Hospital

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been a dream of mine to detect an abandoned psychiatric hospital. I picture a Victorian bldg sitting on a hillside with sprawling lawn built late 19th/early 20th century--should be silver coins and gold jewelry on those lawns and behind the bldg where employees would take their lunch breaks. I did some research and although hundreds were built only a handful remain. Most are in NY; I'm in AZ and the closest I could find is Rockhaven Sanitarium in Glendale, CA. It's a 7 1/2 hr drive and still there may be no tres/security cameras/ fenced area if I ever get there. I do plan on traveling soon. So does anybody know of an abandoned psychiatric hospital/sanitarium I could detect that doesn't have the usual no tres/security cameras/ fenced area so I can detect. I could also work on getting a permission as an option...Thanks ahead....

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Permission is not an option, it is a necessity. Research, then find the current owner and ask away.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I would caution against a gazillion used syringes and needles on the premises. That was my experience anyway. Abandoned sanatoriums are the same way.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Closure and current status​

Agnes Richards ran Rockhaven Sanitarium until 1967 when she passed it on to her granddaughter Patricia Traviss. In Traviss' time, Rockhaven changed with the needs of its residents and became popular for the care of elderly women with dementia. In 2001 Traviss sold Rockhaven to a large hospital corporation which operated it as Ararat Home of Los Angeles. However, by 2006 they found the upkeep too costly and sold it to developers who planned to scrap the lot and build condos. The community stepped in to stop the demolition and in 2008 the City of Glendale purchased Rockhaven for about $8.25 million with the intent to open the property to the public for use as a community park.

In February 2016, the site was being considered by the City of Glendale for "adaptive reuse and later that year, for a mental health facility or a shopping center.". However, in 2019 Glendale cut ties with Gangi Development after two years. In July 2021, they received $8 million in state funds toward turning the site into the Rockhaven Mental Health History Museum at the request of Senator Anthony Portantino (D – La Cañada Flintridge) who proposed that the State of California allocate the money to "the City of Glendale to renovate and preserve the historic Rockhaven property for the public to enjoy and appreciate as a museum."

Historic Designation​

The California State Historical Resources Commission gave unanimous approval to list the Rockhaven Sanitarium to the California Register of Historical Resources on April 18, 2016. Despite objection by the City of Glendale the Friends of Rockhaven successfully nominated the Rockhaven Sanitarium for listing in the National Register of Historic Places and it was so designated in June 2016. It is recognized, in part, for being one of only three women's hospitals remaining from its time.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck getting permission from city bureaucrats on a site designated an Historic Resource.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would caution against a gazillion used syringes and needles on the premises. That was my experience anyway. Abandoned sanatoriums are the same way.
What property did you detect? Is it still available for detecting? I don't care if it's been pounded before. I just want the experience. Who knows, I may still find something. Nobody gets everything.

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried getting permission from the county here in Tucson to detect an old juvenile detention/ police training area and was denied, they have now sold the area and built homes. I did wander into an old stage stop area and found some interesting things, the area is now closed off, I'm sure homes will be built there also.

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"It's been a dream of mine to detect an abandoned psychiatric hospital. I picture a Victorian bldg sitting on a hillside with sprawling lawn built late 19th/early 20th century"
Your description reminds me of a scene from John Carpenters "Halloween".
"Halloween III" to be exact. The hospital that it is based on is located in Bowling Green, KY. It sits on what locals call Hospital Hill. Not only does it have all the history you speak of but it is the place where the local college kids go for sledding amongst other things. And we all know college kids having fun never lose anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions