invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, found a 2” diameter brass ball and this iron object in the same hole near a home built by a Quaker family in 1833. The home has been inhabited ever since and the property farmed. The ball has some imperfections as seen in the second photo. There are no maker’s marks or a hole with threads to attach a rod to. Without the threaded hole I don’t believe it is a weight for a flyball governor or clock weight.

Before posting I searched TNet and the most common ID given is some sort of check valve ball. Uses include:
• Some of the older pumps (water/chemical) used brass balls in check valves.
• Fuel check ball from a hit-n-miss engine.

I googled "check valve ball" and all that I saw were smaller than 2" diameter. So, does anyone know what it was used for?
What is the iron object? Does it relate to the brass ball? If so does it indicate what the brass ball was used for?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    540.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,
I think your finds might belong to a Weathervane. https://www.ebay.com/i/254450627372...MIpMyL9YLc6AIViZWzCh1iDwhKEAQYASABEgJ4W_D_BwE

Neat finds :)
Breezie

Breezie thanks for the suggestion. Just looked at several vintage weather vanes on-line (including the one you sent) and all have a hole. If the one I found did - part of a weather vane would be a good guess.

Hope to find more on my return trips. According to the owner, the property has not been detected in the 25 years they've owned it. It is rare where I live to find such a "pristine" location.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DCMatt, I think that is it. Earlier I thought not because in many cases it appeared the balls were attached like the one shown in your picture. However, looking further I found some examples like the one attached below of a Pickering Fly Ball Steam Engine Governor. That attachment point might explain the depression/build up the second picture I posted above. One purpose for Pickering steam engines was for railroad, and there was a local railroad line that passed about 200 yards north of the home. Thanks much to all!

Attachments

• Pickering.jpg
    Pickering.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 38
Upvote 0

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, no idea what those items are for sure. But I noticed you hunt with a White DFX, I do too. Have for about the last 3 years. Love the machine, but am thinking of upgrading to the V3i like you have also ? Please give me sage advice if you would recommend the upgrade and why. Thanks !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the brass ball is solved.:hello2: Anyone have an ID for the iron artifact? With the pair of carriage bolts could it be off a wagon?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, no idea what those items are for sure. But I noticed you hunt with a White DFX, I do too. Have for about the last 3 years. Love the machine, but am thinking of upgrading to the V3i like you have also ? Please give me sage advice if you would recommend the upgrade and why. Thanks !

Diggitdaddy, will PM you the answer this P.M.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marking the brass ball [SOLVED]; just re-posted the possible iron handle.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions