Quarter Strike Through error or PMD?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this 2018 pictured rocks quarter in a roll today. Can anyone tell me if this is a strike through error or pmd?

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender_1.jpg

How can i tell the difference?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
To have it verified would require magnification under a microscope to analyze the metal flow. The knee-jerk reaction would be to say it is PMD. But I think that it very well could be a strike through error. Whatever was on the planchet had to be substantial. If it was a gouge post mint, then I would expect the copper core to be visible. Not seeing any evidence of the copper core gives credence to the possibility.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To have it verified would require magnification under a microscope to analyze the metal flow. The knee-jerk reaction would be to say it is PMD. But I think that it very well could be a strike through error. Whatever was on the planchet had to be substantial. If it was a gouge post mint, then I would expect the copper core to be visible. Not seeing any evidence of the copper core gives credence to the possibility.

Here is a pic from my microscope. Hope it helps.

Its a pretty deep crater and i don't see any copper.

S20190717_0004.jpg

Last edited:

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Great find, very nice!.....I don't know if strike through is the correct term here or if it's just struck on a defective planchette but it is definitely not post mint damage....good eye and you would surely be able to find a buyer for this due to how substantial it is......nice job!

HH all!

Greg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strike through IMO. :laughing7:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am thinking a Lamination Peel and separation (De-Lamination Error) but it just might be a Strike Through Error. Hard to tell from pics and some of these types of Errors are even hard to determine in person. As far as seeing the Copper, remember that the Quarter's composition is Nickel (8.33%) and Copper (91.67%) and the Nickel is actually fairly thick in areas of images, details, lettering and the Date, so most times, it would take a very deep gouge or Lamination Peel before you would see the Copper core.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was this from a bank roll, CWR, or received in change?

I was at target the other night and purchased a few items. When the cashier opened the drawer i asked for a roll of quarters as part of my change. All the quarters in the roll were 2018 and older.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really Nice find with a "divot" that large.
I was leaning towards lamination also because of the "wrinkled" and uneven bottom of the crater. A strike through would have a fairly smooth bottom since the planchet would have already been produced and flat before a strike through might have occurred.

BTW- There appears to be some more material still in place to the WSW of and touching the "divot". I say this because there looks to be an irregular "perimeter" and an uneveness to the surface in that area similar to retained laminations.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tbanks for all the input everyone. So, if it is De-lamination, does that mean it is post mint damage? LOL do i keep it or release it back into the wild?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Tbanks for all the input everyone. So, if it is De-lamination, does that mean it is post mint damage? LOL do i keep it or release it back into the wild?

A Lamination and De-Lamination (separation of the lamination) can occur before or after the strike as it is a problem with the Planchet. However, in the case of your' coin and if it is in fact a De-Lamination Error, it would have occurred Post-Strike but could have separated before or after the coin left the Mint. It is a nice and collectible Error that many Error Coin Collectors would love to have.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does not look PMD to me, Copper or no upper I think this is a delam

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think you can get an exact guess from posting a pic professional eyes in hand

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be worth sending it to be graded and if so, would they determine what it is? Or, dose the grading service just verify an assumption made by the sender?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Would it be worth sending it to be graded and if so, would they determine what it is? Or, dose the grading service just verify an assumption made by the sender?

I am not sure whether one of the top grading services would identify and attribute the Error on the holder's label, In any case, the coin is not valuable enough to warrant the cost of having the coin certified and graded and the Error attributed on the label.

Lessoptional

Jan 6, 2022
I know this post is old but I’m hoping to find out more about the quarter I have and asked elsewhere but got the knee jerk reaction that it’s PMD. What did you find out about your quarter? Here’s a pic of mine and hopefully I can finally bury this question on if it’s mint damage or post.

Attachments

• F9C3C6C3-C716-48B3-A7A6-D98C0F614ACB.jpeg
    F9C3C6C3-C716-48B3-A7A6-D98C0F614ACB.jpeg
    843.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 6CC8EAB0-109D-4B0A-BDF0-8FAD4A051C8B.jpeg
    6CC8EAB0-109D-4B0A-BDF0-8FAD4A051C8B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • 116C1C99-5737-498A-A16E-B6987E6F3B43.jpeg
    116C1C99-5737-498A-A16E-B6987E6F3B43.jpeg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this post is old but I’m hoping to find out more about the quarter I have and asked elsewhere but got the knee jerk reaction that it’s PMD. What did you find out about your quarter? Here’s a pic of mine and hopefully I can finally bury this question on if it’s mint damage or post.
I did not find out anything more than the replies i got in this thread. Seems more people are leaning in the direction of a De lamination error and a couple think it may be a strike through. In any case I don't believe my quarter is a PMD candidate.
As stated by A2coins, The only way to know for sure is to have someone put real eyes on the coin.

Meyerstone

Feb 1, 2023
I did not find out anything more than the replies i got in this thread. Seems more people are leaning in the direction of a De lamination error and a couple think it may be a strike through. In any case I don't believe my quarter is a PMD candidate.
As stated by A2coins, The only way to know for sure is to have someone put real eyes on the coin.
20230201_080646.jpg
I have the same mark on the 2018 P quarter as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread