🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Quartz-like rock with embedded mineral?

ncuke

May 24, 2013
Hi Everyone,

Found this rock today central NC in a creekbed. I don’t actually think it’s quartz because it looks to be softer and almost iridescent - lots of angular grain - tried to capture in the one photo where I used the flash. The gray lines that are sticking out are very hard/sharp. Some sort of vein? Thoughts? Thank you!!!

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    647.2 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe you have found a piece of mica
Look it up. I found several pieces more to the east in Morth Carolina. NC is a great gem state.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do believe you have found a piece of mica
Look it up. I found several pieces more to the east in Morth Catolina. NC is a great gem state.

Thanks for sharing.
Morth Catolina? Is English your second or third language? Just wondering at all your typographical errors in the butchering of North Carolina.

Upvote 0

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the veins in it are mica or the main body is mica with something else as the vein? I thought for a second maybe flourite with mica veins

I think you pretty much already had it sorted. Good job and I agree with your analysis for what it is worth. You have a plethora of places to collect in your great state. Thanks again for sharing.

Upvote 1

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try counting to 10 before posting.Like I said before,that was a valid question. No need to fly off and start trolling and insulting people for no reason.
It was an innocent question. My wife is am immigrant and she writes in a similar fashion as that poster. I was trying to be friendly, and was in turn attacked and trolled. This world has gone crazy.

Upvote 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morth Catolina? Is English your second or third language? Just wondering at all your typographical errors in the butchering of North Carolina.
Lue_Hawn, please post by our rules, do not insult members.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking it could be gypsum.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread