quartz pipe/fire dish, effigy club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paleo Lonewolf

Greenie
Sep 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one yesterday. Central Ozark Mountains, surface collected. panasmall.jpg SANY0020.JPG jhgf.jpg SANY0018.JPG SANY0013.JPG SANY0012.JPG SANY0016 (2).JPG SANY0004.JPG a.JPG View attachment 862050 panasmall.jpg SANY0020.JPG jhgf.jpg SANY0018.JPG SANY0013.JPG SANY0012.JPG SANY0016 (2).JPG SANY0004.JPG a.JPG

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
ummm, they look like the rocks we have around here. Maybe I'm missing something?

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW. By far the most imaginative description I have ever seen describing a natural rock, like award winning . Love "The Breakdown", great stuff. Good luck in future hunts.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site.

I see no evidence whatsoever that that piece was ever altered by man. Nothing but a natural rock and a very, very vivid imagination.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site but that type of belief is not given in every type of artifact sites. There are sites that believe in that but not this one. HH, rock

OP
OP
P

Paleo Lonewolf

Greenie
Sep 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uuuhhhh .... you guys do know the difference between ground stone artifacts vrs chipped stone 'gas station specials', right? LOL

OP
OP
P

Paleo Lonewolf

Greenie
Sep 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok ok, I'll get more pics and prove it. You guys don't gotta be so damn rude about it though. Really. Just say my case isn't proven yet. ffs

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ok that you collect them, its just not meant to post on a arrowhead type of site. There are sites out there that believe in that but just not this one. I dont believe that is a rude statement I have given you. Look under "ancient carved stone fetishes". I believe you will find what you are looking for then. GL, rock

Flatwoods88

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just a rock buddy, it doesn't take an expert to figure that on out.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, if it's only a rock, and not an artifact, isn't it simply being honest to inform the poster that it's not an artifact? It's extremely obvious that it's not an artifact. Why inform the poster that it is an artifact? This is not a perfect example of why not to post to this section of treasurenet. It is an example of what can happen, short and to the point replies, when one posts something that is simply not what the poster believes it to be. Would it really be better to say "hey, nice effigy pipe! Welcome!" Paleo Lonewolf, there was no real need for anybody here to say your case was not proven yet, instead of telling you it's just a rock. The reason there was no reason to tell you your case was not proven is because your photos were enough to disprove your case. You may believe otherwise, and that's your right, but experienced eyes can see it's not an artifact. Trouble is, sometimes short and to the point seems rude when it really is not intended as such. Welcome to the forum. A great many experienced collectors here.

If I were a dealer/experienced collector at an artifact show, and you showed me this rock, asked what I thought, and I could see a look of excitement and anticipation of good news on your face, I would let you down as gently as I could muster. But I would have no choice but to let you down. Person to person is different, isn't it....

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Its ok that you collect them, its just not meant to post on a arrowhead type of site. There are sites out there that believe in that but just not this one. I dont believe that is a rude statement I have given you. Look under "ancient carved stone fetishes". I believe you will find what you are looking for then. GL, rock

Paleo Lonewolf, rock is saying that it's not an effigy. Native societies had artists every bit as skilled as cultures elsewhere throughout time and place, and effigies will be obvious, they will not be something largely dependent on the imagination. I can see a faint face in your breakdown photo, but it's natural, the way faces in clouds are natural. I believe the sites rock is referring to are certain websites, not other artifact forums, where the website creators lack discrimination and an experienced eye, and post ordinary rocks claiming more then could ever be reasonably claimed. The Internet does not "weed out" such ill conceived sites, one has to hope most people will recognize the conclusions drawn at such sites as mistaken. On artifact forums, and there are quite a few, your thread would receive the same conclusions from experienced people on those forums. A natural rock.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We better stop we are talking all over this guys rock post.

OP
OP
P

Paleo Lonewolf

Greenie
Sep 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, Ok ... so any of you guys see any designs in these either?? SANY0006.JPG SANY0008.JPG SANY0009.JPG SANY0010.JPG SANY0011.JPG SANY0012.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread