Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What made her extraordinary was not who she was, but what she gave.

She became the Queen before many of us were born, before many of our mothers were born. Whether you loved her or not she was always there. Death and taxes and Queen Elizabeth II were the only certainties of life for 70 years, until she died on Thursday at the age of 96. Chances were that what you loved or hated wasn’t the woman herself but the institution she embodied, a sprawling $28 billion firm of inherited titles and property. The woman herself, she was a cipher by design. Her position prevented her from vocalizing opinions on politics, elections, social movements and individual people or anything of consequence really, because modern monarchs don’t run the government even while they appear on its money.

She was an avid outdoor person, she loved Corgis, horses and hunting expeditions. You may have read somewhere that as a teenager she served as a mechanic in World War II. She saved her wartime rations to pay for her wedding dress and thereby won the love of a nation that, in those dark days, needed a fairy tale but a practical one. Was it a fairy tale or was it feminism? The highest-ranking woman in the world, and her power came not by her hard work or by a wedding ring on her finger but by a chaotic ladder of genealogy reaching through centuries: beheadings and infertility, abdications and overthrowings. All of which leading up to this singular woman holding the throne longer than anyone had before, or likely ever will again.

This to me, her legacy is the remarkable thing. That for 70-years the most important figure in Britain was a woman who did not do many of the things or embody many of the characteristics that society often demands women do and be. For 70 years, the Commonwealth’s most important resident was an extremely average woman who was made sublime only because the people allowed her to be. She did her work. Whatever any of us think of the monarchy, we can think something of showing up to do the work. “I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service,” she once told her future subjects in a radio address broadcast on her 21st birthday. “And the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”

She insisted, that she was merely a humble public servant. And the most extraordinary thing, is that’s what she was all along.

Queen Elizabeth II did her job01.png

Queen Elizabeth II did her job02.png

Queen Elizabeth II did her job03.png

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Excellent tribute. We here in the U.S. are not too distant descendants of the Monarchy, and owe most of our traditions, laws, societal norms and values to the English system that she upheld and served to carry forward. The Queen was like a great aunt, IMO, to Americans. R.I.P.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

She became the Queen before many of us were born, before many of our mothers were born. Whether you loved her or not she was always there. Death and taxes and Queen Elizabeth II were the only certainties of life for 70 years, until she died on Thursday at the age of 96. Chances were that what you loved or hated wasn’t the woman herself but the institution she embodied, a sprawling $28 billion firm of inherited titles and property. The woman herself, she was a cipher by design. Her position prevented her from vocalizing opinions on politics, elections, social movements and individual people or anything of consequence really, because modern monarchs don’t run the government even while they appear on its money.

She was an avid outdoor person, she loved Corgis, horses and hunting expeditions. You may have read somewhere that as a teenager she served as a mechanic in World War II. She saved her wartime rations to pay for her wedding dress and thereby won the love of a nation that, in those dark days, needed a fairy tale but a practical one. Was it a fairy tale or was it feminism? The highest-ranking woman in the world, and her power came not by her hard work or by a wedding ring on her finger but by a chaotic ladder of genealogy reaching through centuries: beheadings and infertility, abdications and overthrowings. All of which leading up to this singular woman holding the throne longer than anyone had before, or likely ever will again.

This to me, her legacy is the remarkable thing. That for 70-years the most important figure in Britain was a woman who did not do many of the things or embody many of the characteristics that society often demands women do and be. For 70 years, the Commonwealth’s most important resident was an extremely average woman who was made sublime only because the people allowed her to be. She did her work. Whatever any of us think of the monarchy, we can think something of showing up to do the work. “I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service,” she once told her future subjects in a radio address broadcast on her 21st birthday. “And the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”

She insisted, that she was merely a humble public servant. And the most extraordinary thing, is that’s what she was all along.

View attachment 2045789

View attachment 2045790

View attachment 2045791
And she had not scandals of her own. Cannot say that for some of her family members. RIP Queen Elizabeth.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k

View attachment 2045789

View attachment 2045790

View attachment 2045791
We here in Australia when I was a kid in primary school, every Monday morning the whole school assembled and sang God Save The Queen in front of our flag. 😀
A picture of her was in the general assembly room too.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking about it I'm sure it had to exhausting to be of a proper manner every time you went out the door for as long as she had. That in a way seems a bit cruel, that a whole country and the majority of the world will be expecting of you for the course of an intire life for as long as she's lived. Here we get to sling mud on whoever for no more than 8 years at a time and I'll bet a few of our presidents have felt the relief of, boy I'm sure glad that craps over with.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been much debate on the cost of the Queen’s funeral, which hasn’t been officially disclosed and won’t become public knowledge for some time. Based on the cost of previous state funerals of smaller size, it’s estimated at around £10 million. A large part of that reflects the security and policing costs but as “additional resource deployment” since most of the personnel would be paid for on normal duty whether needed for the funeral or not.

That’s around 35 pence per household (not per person), or less than half a dollar. It’s not a cost I would grudge versus, say, a Starbucks cappuccino 'venti' at £2.85. I would completely accept that £10 million could have been spent on more worthy causes, but I would say the same about the £15 million in contributions to the Cats’ Protection Trust (with apologies to pussy-cats everywhere).

Regarding the coffee, I would rather make two mugs of decent coffee at home, call them ‘large’, mis-spell my own name on the mugs using a Sharpie, and set light to a £5 note.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has been much debate on the cost of the Queen’s funeral, which hasn’t been officially disclosed and won’t become public knowledge for some time. Based on the cost of previous state funerals of smaller size, it’s estimated at around £10 million. A large part of that reflects the security and policing costs but as “additional resource deployment” since most of the personnel would be paid for on normal duty whether needed for the funeral or not.

That’s around 35 pence per household (not per person), or less than half a dollar. It’s not a cost I would grudge versus, say, a Starbucks cappuccino 'venti' at £2.85. I would completely accept that £10 million could have been spent on more worthy causes, but I would say the same about the £15 million in contributions to the Cats’ Protection Trust (with apologies to pussy-cats everywhere).

Regarding the coffee, I would rather make two mugs of decent coffee at home, call them ‘large’, mis-spell my own name on the mugs using a Sharpie, and set light to a £5 note.
Coworkers and family members of mine have thought me uncouth, because I drink instant coffee. I find it very convenient and it's a super fast caffeine fix first thing in the morning for me.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I want to personally thank all of the Tnet members who took time to post here... thank you. :wave:

Queen Elizabeth has made 22 official visits to Canada since 1952
The Queen, who died Thursday at her Balmoral estate in Scotland, made 22 official visits to Canada after ascending to the throne in 1952. Her first time here as Queen was in 1957, the last in 2010. During those years, she visited every province and territory. Prince Philip accompanied Elizabeth on her first official visit as Queen to Canada. The couple had visited previously in 1951 while Elizabeth was a princess. They spent four days in Ottawa and the Queen became the first reigning sovereign to open the Canadian Parliament.

1957: First visit and first live TV address
She also made a televised address, the first one she had done live, during which she praised Canada's population growth and strong currency. The address was one of the first examples of the monarchy adapting modern technologies during her reign. As communications evolved, attention continued to focus on the Queen's first forays on new platforms such as Twitter or Instagram.

1964: The Queen received an angry reception in Quebec
The Queen and Prince Philip visited Charlottetown, Quebec City and Ottawa. The Prime Minister invited her to attend the centennial of two 1864 pre-Confederation conferences in Charlottetown and Quebec City. Elizabeth was warmly welcomed to Charlottetown, but when she got to Quebec City, she was greeted by anti-monarchist and separatist protesters. Quebec's relationship with the monarchy wasn't always strained. When the Queen's father, King George VI, and his wife, Queen Elizabeth, visited in 1939, they received a warm welcome, as Canadians rallied in support of the war effort. But the emergence of Quebec nationalism and the Quiet Revolution led to the separatist movement in Quebec, which was inherently republican.

2010: The final visit to Canada
The Queen's final visit to Canada was in 2010. She visited five cities and spent Canada Day in Ottawa with about 100,000 spectators on Parliament Hill. "This nation has dedicated itself to being a caring home for its own, a sanctuary for others and an example to the world," she said during the visit. Elizabeth visited Canada more times as Queen than any other Commonwealth country. And she referred to Canada as "home" as she arrived in Halifax, this was a term she used throughout her reign when speaking of our country.

The Queen in Canada 22 visits during her reign01.png

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Antiquarian, thank you for the informative post and thank all that added comments. I think she was a stabilizing influence in a world full of political change and sometimes chaos. I hope the monarchy continues that role.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread