QUEEN ELIZABETH II HAS DIED TODAY

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sad she is gone :( I still think it is foolish to honor someone because they were born. I think King Charles is not a person to praise. He did Diana wrong and I also believe a lot more of his wrong doings will surface

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did she ever have dirty fingernails?
Ever clean a toilet?
Ever worry about having work so she could feed her kids?
Ever deny herself things to see her kids have something?
Ever make due about clothes, a car, a house?
Iā€™m saying she had it all for nothing
I care more about the normal people who struggle everyday.
She survived WWII German bombing in London and served in the British military, how about you, where did you serve?

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am sad she is gone :( I still think it is foolish to honor someone because they were born. I think King Charles is not a person to praise. He did Diana wrong and I also believe a lot more of his wrong doings will surface
Prince charles was screwy on many levels and now he is king. Not my king, we have our own screwy presidents. But they always have said, democracy is messy.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Some interesting fall-out arising from the new monarch. New monarchs get to choose their ā€˜regnal nameā€™, which isnā€™t necessarily their Christian name. Alexandrina chose to reign as Queen Victoria (her middle name); her son Albert chose to reign as Edward VII (also his middle name); and Prince Albert Frederick Arthur George chose to reign as George VI.

There was speculation in the past that Prince Charles might choose to be George VII (avoiding comparisons with previous King Charlies who have a bit of a chequered history) but Charles III has been confirmed.

There is a long tradition on our coinage that each monarchā€™s portrait faces in a different direction to their predecessor, so Charles will face to the left if he follows protocol. There was an exception when Edward VIII insisted on facing the ā€˜wrongā€™ way because of vanity relating to his bald patch and comb-over, so pattern coinage was prepared showing him left-facing like his predecessor. But he abdicated without any coins being issued in his name and the tradition resumed as if he had faced right.

The other tradition is for the regnal titles on coins to be in Latin (for Charles it should be Dei Gratia Rex Fidei Defensor), together with a latinised equivalent of the monarchā€™s name. So, James became IACOBVS, William became GULIELMUS, George became GEORGIVS and Edward became EDWARDVS. The issue didnā€™t arise for Victoria since itā€™s already Latin, nor for Elizabeth because it doesnā€™t really have a proper Latin equivalent. Neither the Palace nor the Royal Mint have confirmed it, but I suspect Charles will break the tradition to avoid being ā€˜CAROLVSā€™.

The Royal Mint has shown the design for the first of Charles' coins... the 50 pence piece, which has traditionally been struck on an equilaterally curved heptagonal flan. Due to go into circulation before Christmas, but with commemorative 50p and Ā£5 coins for the Queen with Charles' portrait to be issued before that.

Charles.jpg

So, the tradition for which direction the monarch faces has been maintained, but the tradition for Latinising the name has not. Only the titles have been retained in Latin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions