Quest X10 - Why are not talking about these machines? Initial Thoughts

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So for my 41st Birthday my wife got me a Quest X10 to add to the growing collection.

I'm not exactly sure about Quest they appear to be out of California / Manufactured in China (?) (I'm aware of the backstory but my impression is they have righted the ship so to speak)

I will say for $199 dollars I don't know of a machine that can top what you get with this. In fact I was more impressed with the initial performance than I was the Simplex (IMO)

Good Points -
-WeatherProof (hunt in the rain - which is all I really need)
-Manual & Auto Ground Balance (Easy to operate need further testing of course),
- Target Separation seems to be very good (more on that later though - weird quirk),
- Depth (This was the real surprise for the 9"x5" coil which is really small in comparison to an 11" Simplex Coil) No it won't hit a Dime @ 9" in my test garden but the Simplex couldn't either and both of them missed a Quarter @ 11", but I found the depth on Silver coins to be very good 6-8". I would rather the machine come with a appropriate sized stock coil that over performs than a larger coil that under performs. There are no shortage of aftermarket coils so I may order a larger one and test in the field. *** I need to do further testing in the field to see how the VDI performs on the deeper targets but so far seems adequate for a $200 dollar machine certainly on par with what I experienced with the Simplex

Bad Points and Odd Quirks*
- Assembly (I've assembled dozens of machines and never once had to stop and look at the instructions but this one fooled me) The machine first of all ships in the smallest box I have ever seen for a metal detector the handle has to first be disassembled and then the control box separates from the handle. You then put the handle in holes on the aluminum shaft while at the same time realigning the control box whole with the handle. Which is then secured by 4 tiny screws (no screwdriver included?) The whole thing takes less than 5 minutes but had me jammed up for a minute. This little plastic handle although cheap actually feels very nice (There is no grip to speak of which might be an issue if the machine was wet)
- Assembly Part 2 - This machine still uses the aluminum shafts anyone who has been metal detecting for 10 years is familiar with. For a $200 dollar machine this is perfectly fine but you do get some shaft movement from the alignment holes. (Could be secured with included Velcro) This actually feels less cheap to me then the flexible lower shaft on the Simplex (That really bothered me - had I kept that machine I would have wanted an upgrade on that piece)

- Depth Meter (upside down ..maybe) The Sensitivity meter is on the right and goes top to bottom (bottom lowest to top highest sensitivity) the Depth Meter is on the right and is the exact opposite. I suppose you could look at this as the bottom being deeper in the ground, but I can't recall if I have seen it done that way before?

- Audio Tones - There are five choices of Audio Tones. I will attach a picture but what I experienced at least in testing was when I used the 1st three Q1 - Q3 the machine was slow to react to a dime target and would pass over it unless you went really slow. Q4/Q5 had no problem. This was just my initial testing and I need to do more to confirm this but I found it very odd. So much so that I actually thought something was wrong with the machine.

Overall I think this is a real competitor to the Simplex at $50 dollars cheaper (unless you need the underwater and/or wireless headphones) in which case you could get the Q20/Q40 model for about the same price as the Simplex with the headphones.

This machine felt like a good upgrade of the Fishers F22 I had 5 years ago and for a lower price!
I will want to put a lot more hours of use on it before I tell people to consider buying one but so far I think it is worthy of discussion in a world where the Simplex is king of the entry level detectors.

Quest-Depth.PNG Quest - Tones.PNG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were hard to reach where there was warranty issues.

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were hard to reach where there was warranty issues.

Interesting considering they are a supporting Vendor! I will reach out to them and see if I get a response. Thanks for the heads up If I have any problems with the machine and can't get support that would certainly override any positives.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting considering they are a supporting Vendor! I will reach out to them and see if I get a response. Thanks for the heads up If I have any problems with the machine and can't get support that would certainly override any positives.
Speaking from when I worked at Kelklyco.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
Just bought an x5 for my nephew.First impression: A lot of machine for the price! Surprising depth,manual or auto ground balance ,5 notch discrimination,3 hunting modes and very lightweight

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming from other far more expensive machines like the ORX and Equinox. I have noticed that it requires you to slow down on your swing speed or you will miss targets. It's not bad by any means and can actually be a positive. I haven't dug deep targets with it yet but I have been hunting a really trashy ball diamond and it is doing just fine. I'm still learning more about the company but they have a following in the UK and a facebook group.

AZDET

Greenie
Aug 1, 2015
White Mountains, AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a Youtube video from India of all places that demo'd an X5. Had to use English subtitles to understand it, but it showed how you could change the operating frequency (8 in total) of the detector. I verified this with Quest.

Quest sure needs to do some work on their manuals which don't address this, but it appears their detectors sure have some great features for the money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFSNE...st=WL&index=16

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So for my 41st Birthday my wife got me a Quest X10 to add to the growing collection.

I'm not exactly sure about Quest they appear to be out of California / Manufactured in China (?) (I'm aware of the backstory but my impression is they have righted the ship so to speak)

I will say for $199 dollars I don't know of a machine that can top what you get with this. In fact I was more impressed with the initial performance than I was the Simplex (IMO)

Good Points -
- Target Separation seems to be very good (more on that later though - weird quirk),
- Depth (This was the real surprise for the 9"x5" coil which is really small in comparison to an 11" Simplex Coil) No it won't hit a Dime @ 9" in my test garden but the Simplex couldn't either and both of them missed a Quarter @ 11", but I found the depth on Silver coins to be very good 6-8". I would rather the machine come with a appropriate sized stock coil that over performs than a larger coil that under performs. There are no shortage of aftermarket coils so I may order a larger one and test in the field. *** I need to do further testing in the field to see how the VDI performs on the deeper targets but so far seems adequate for a $200 dollar machine certainly on par with what I experienced with the Simplex

- Assembly (I've assembled dozens of machines and never once had to stop and look at the instructions but this one fooled me) The machine first of all ships in the smallest box I have ever seen for a metal detector the handle has to first be disassembled and then the control box separates from the handle. You then put the handle in holes on the aluminum shaft while at the same time realigning the control box whole with the handle. Which is then secured by 4 tiny screws (no screwdriver included?) The whole thing takes less than 5 minutes but had me jammed up for a minute. This little plastic handle although cheap actually feels very nice (There is no grip to speak of which might be an issue if the machine was wet)
- Assembly Part 2 - This machine still uses the aluminum shafts anyone who has been metal detecting for 10 years is familiar with. For a $200 dollar machine this is perfectly fine but you do get some shaft movement from the alignment holes. (Could be secured with included Velcro) This actually feels less cheap to me then the flexible lower shaft on the Simplex (That really bothered me - had I kept that machine I would have wanted an upgrade on that piece)

- Depth Meter (upside down ..maybe) The Sensitivity meter is on the right and goes top to bottom (bottom lowest to top highest sensitivity) the Depth Meter is on the right and is the exact opposite. I suppose you could look at this as the bottom being deeper in the ground, but I can't recall if I have seen it done that way before?

- Audio Tones - There are five choices of Audio Tones. I will attach a picture but what I experienced at least in testing was when I used the 1st three Q1 - Q3 the machine was slow to react to a dime target and would pass over it unless you went really slow. Q4/Q5 had no problem. This was just my initial testing and I need to do more to confirm this but I found it very odd. So much so that I actually thought something was wrong with the machine.

Overall I think this is a real competitor to the Simplex at $50 dollars cheaper (unless you need the underwater and/or wireless headphones) in which case you could get the Q20/Q40 model for about the same price as the Simplex with the headphones.

This machine felt like a good upgrade of the Fishers F22 I had 5 years ago and for a lower price!
I will want to put a lot more hours of use on it before I tell people to consider buying one but so far I think it is worthy of discussion in a world where the Simplex is king of the entry level detectors.

View attachment 1910197 View attachment 1910198
I hope you're right, because I just bought a (used) X10 for my son, who is 9 years old and can't adequately swing the Simplex I bought him, yet. It IS quite light and I used it for a couple of hours before buying it from a friend. Do you have enough time on it to give me any tips for using it, and maybe have a TDI list yet? I did a search online for the TDIs, but came up empty...

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a Youtube video from India of all places that demo'd an X5. Had to use English subtitles to understand it, but it showed how you could change the operating frequency (8 in total) of the detector. I verified this with Quest.

Quest sure needs to do some work on their manuals which don't address this, but it appears their detectors sure have some great features for the money.

Doggone it! I can't access that video for some reason. Can you still see it? Can you tell me what the procedure was to change the frequencies?

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doggone it! I can't access that video for some reason. Can you still see it? Can you tell me what the procedure was to change the frequencies?

Check out the 4min mark - you hold ground balance button and hit the volume. I haven't used my X10 all year been busy with other projects but I will put together a VDI list tonight and post for you. Great machine for a new detectorist.

You really shouldn't need to change the frequencies (it is more of a freq shift then actually large adjustments) you would probably only need to do this if you had interference from another machine close by and/or possibly some EMI from power lines.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
X10 VDI Chart
Small mens wedding band 54
Nickels 56
Half dime 72
small 1800's button 75
shield/memorial penny 77
Copper penny pre 1982 82/83
Dime 82/83
Quarter 88
Large Cent 89

* pull tabs will come in at or around 56. I would recommend on the coin program you notch out the 60's and anything below 50 (or you could even notch out 60/70 and skip penny's)

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
X10 VDI Chart
Small mens wedding band 54
Nickels 56
Half dime 72
small 1800's button 75
shield/memorial penny 77
Copper penny pre 1982 82/83
Dime 82/83
Quarter 88
Large Cent 89

* pull tabs will come in at or around 56. I would recommend on the coin program you notch out the 60's and anything below 50 (or you could even notch out 60/70 and skip penny's)
Please give us an update on your Q X10 Pro. Any problems, or did it became a closet critter, or do you still use it?

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Points -

View attachment 1910197 View attachment 1910198
I have been using my quest x10 pro for the last few months and love the machine. Light weight and lots of features. I also use a minelab vanquish 540 pro pack. With the small coil on the vanquish vs the x10 pro I prefer the x10. Depth is about the same.

OP
OP
E

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please give us an update on your Q X10 Pro. Any problems, or did it became a closet critter, or do you still use it?
Sorry I never saw this reply. I do not use the X10 any more. It was a fine machine and I think Quest is on the right track. They have a new V80 machine that will be multi-freq we should see in the U.S. around April/May at the latest. Their PR in the U.S. is not so great but they have a big fan base oversee's. The X10 is a bit jumpy on the VDI but overall very similar to a simplex. If I had to do over I'd take a good look at the Q30+ but I have too many machines as it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread