question about beach settings on a 505...

Jan 17, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
ProFind 35
Minelab Equinox 800 (just sold)
Minelab Vanquish 540
ProFind 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..am trying to find the optimum settings for here at the beach in wet sand... am i correct in setting the sensitivity low before trying to ground balance? any other tips in setting it up?... been in the dry sand and doing ok but wanting to get near the water. Have an Equinox 800 on order but it might be awhile before i ever see it. There are a few 505 videos out there but not much on beach hunting. Thanks for the help.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just not a good wet sand machine (single-frequency). Turn your Sensitivity down to around 3 (out of 10), and your discrimination to foil. Do Not touch the sand. Good Luck! :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't even waste my time hunting the wet with a 505. Hit the dry sand until the Equinox arrives, then have fun in the wet! :icon_thumleft:

beendetected

May 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..am trying to find the optimum settings for here at the beach in wet sand... am i correct in setting the sensitivity low before trying to ground balance? any other tips in setting it up?... been in the dry sand and doing ok but wanting to get near the water. Have an Equinox 800 on order but it might be awhile before i ever see it. There are a few 505 videos out there but not much on beach hunting. Thanks for the help.
I have the 305. I wade knee deep with sense on 5, it doesn't balance to salt water, only dry at around 4.
You will get corrosion on the circuit board from salty air and condensation.
If you put a cover on the box, your board will be eaten quicker due to more condensation. If you drop it in salt water, you'll have to bin it. If it lives in the boot of your car, condensation will kill it. Gotta sweep real slow.
Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread