Al/Lindley

Greenie
Jul 20, 2011
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REcently I bought an etrac with the standard coil. I am planning on going to Ocean City to detect and was worried about salt water conditions.I called minelab to ask if my coil was waterproof. Could I use it in shallow water? Minelab said "no" that the coil wasn't waterproof. Yet on the factory brochure and in some discussions on this forum it seems that some guys use it in shallow water. I certainly don't want to take a chance of hurting my detector but wondered if anyone could share their experiences or thoughts about this.
Thanks! Al

BJ in Okla.

Feb 26, 2004
Central OK.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ's
I looked on their web site and this is what it said...
Water Protection
Water proof: Submersible to 1 meter. Ideal for shallow wading at the beach, or detecting in shallow streams.

as far back as I can remember, the coil's have always been water proof,, except the old white Coin Search
coils......1 meter is 39"...but be careful about having the coil under water,, and then raising the coil up higher
than the meter,, water in the rod's can run back into the meter.... But also clean the salt water and salt air
of your unit.....I saw a picture of the 11" pro coil that had been used a lot,, in the water at the beach,, the sand wore the coil ears paper thin....
BJ

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has been used in shallow water numerous times - though not salt.....

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just play it safe and stay out of the water. I wouldn't risk a $1400 machine doing that.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mines been in water up to almost waste deep in calm freshwater and knee deep in surf without any issues. As mentioned above don't raise your coil up above control.

Last edited:

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
If it it is stated on their website it is submersible then i wouldn't worry about it. They would have to replace it if something happened as this would fall under normal operating conditions if all you did was submerse it in the shallows less than a meter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread