goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm doing research on locations for detecting in Arizona. Does anyone have experience with Bureau of Reclamation land and whether or not it is permitted to metal detect on these properties?
Permit needed?
Just beginning my research and would appreciate any info and experience anyone has on the subject.
Getting ready to load up the RV and head out......probably will join the GPAA and explore their sites....but would rather be able to go
to other locations also.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it didn't take long for me to find the answer to my question. What I see is that it is illegal to metal detect on Bureau of Reclamation lands.

Agency: Bureau of Reclamation
Website: http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2008-title43-vol1/pdf/CFR-2008-title43-vol1-sec423-27.pdf
Law: Section 423.29 Natural and Cultural Resources
(f) You must not possess a metal detector or other geophysical discovery device, or use a metal detector or other geophysical discovery techniques to locate or recover subsurface objects or features, except:
(1) When transporting, but not using a metal detector or other geophysical discovery device in a vehicle on a public road as allowed under applicable Federal, state and local law, or:
(2) As allowed by permit issued pursuant to subpart D of this 423.

What I didn't see explained was about the "allowed by permit" issued pursuant to subpart D of this 423.
Subpart D of the 423 was talking about gathering of firewood?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is unclaimed BLM land in Central and Northern Arizona, but without direct knowledge of the land and current claims you'll never find it. State land requires a permit just to transit it, much less camp. You can't prospect on it at all legally. Your best bet is a local club, and a drywasher or recirculating sluice. Unless you know where to go for nuggets, you might as well stay home. Sorry if I sound like a skeptic, I'm just letting you in on the reality of nuggetshooting in Arizona today.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reclamation land is like State land *in most cases*. You can be on it if you have a valid hunting license but you may not camp, prospect or remove anything from it. As to the fire wood permit thats just a catch all in the event you happen to have a metal detector or recovery device in your car but are not actively using it~ they cant charge you for it just because its there. Anything else is poaching in their eyes. Its stupid but its the law.
Research a bit and there are area's to prospect. However Terry's suggestion is the best in that local clubs and larger groups like the GPAA have access to the better areas that are known for gold and other materials.

OP
OP
goldkey

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is unclaimed BLM land in Central and Northern Arizona, but without direct knowledge of the land and current claims you'll never find it. State land requires a permit just to transit it, much less camp. You can't prospect on it at all legally. Your best bet is a local club, and a drywasher or recirculating sluice. Unless you know where to go for nuggets, you might as well stay home. Sorry if I sound like a skeptic, I'm just letting you in on the reality of nuggetshooting in Arizona today.

I agree with you Terry. I've been researching for a while now on where to go. I do plan on joining GPAA, and I have looked at some of the clubs there also.
Part of my research has led me to areas where it is Bureau of Reclamation land.....but further looking has shown me that there are BLM parcels close to the BOR lands that I was looking into.
I also am familiar with how to search for claims in the area, and will make it a priority to not be on someone's claim. It would be better if I am able to hook up with others while I am there.
I plan on spending time in AZ and then work my way into Colorado in the spring. I'm retired and have all the time necessary to venture all over those states.

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's lots of clubs out here that have claims in gold country. GPAA, Desert Gold Diggers, Roadrunners, Weaver Mining District, Arizona Association of Gold Prospectors to name a few.
Join them and get their maps then start narrowing down different areas around the state that you might want to visit. Then from there start checking the outlying areas to see what's claimed and what's not, what's just Forest Service Land etc.
The clubs are the best place to start if you're heading out to unknown territory. Their actual claims are usually pretty beat down if you're hunting with a metal detector but aren't hard to get fine gold out of with a drywasher. Sometimes a little gold is better than no gold, especially if you're traveling cross country.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread