QUESTION ABOUT "THE GOLDEN JESUS"

Goldstar1

May 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Goldbug Pro ,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I have read a few versions of this story . I agree with Johnny that is is pretty far fetched that they would construct this rather than melt them into separate bars for travel. If i remember correctly though the point of makeing one large object was that they did not trust each other and so they would all have to work together to travel with it instead of one of them possibly killing the others and taking off with a mule train of gold bars . I dont know still far fetched?

Another story in a similar vein was in a cave supposedly near La Veta , that two miners taking a shortcut cross country from their mine slid in a snow slide into a cave or old mineshaft . They discovered a shelf back in there with a stone object resembling a 2-3 year old child with a string of beads around the neck and a gold filigree bracelet. They were surprised it was super heavy (140 pounds) , so they somehow carried it to town and accidentally broke a toe off and discovered it showed a "peculiar glitter" . They sent the toe to be assayed and were told it was "Strangely impregnated with gold" . Two old timers in the area that supposedly saw it said it did not appear to be of Indian or Spanish origin.

I have never really tried to follow up more on that one but it could be interesting since there are several names mentioned.
Quien Sabe

OP
OP
E

endentured

Greenie
Jan 2, 2018
Pensacola
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The part where you say Bancroft was privy to tales from her grandfather and only she knew them is wrong. Her grandfather got them somewhere, the somewhere is easy to find. Tracing back the history of a treasure story will bring you to it's source. The source is always an old newspaper article, before a published book. Search for the golden Jesus in old newspaper articles, if there are none chances are it was creative writing around historical facts.
Sure, thanks for the advice.

NomadNora

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking into the Golden Jesus story and have come across a number of mentions of locations -- as well as different descriptions of the Golden Jesus. Locations I've seen mentioned (including in this thread):

-- Kaiparowits Plateau (formerly called Fifty Mile Mountain) in Grand Escalante National Park, Utah. Mormon missionary Llewellyn Harris was supposedly told of the golden Jesus by an old Navajo in 1875. Harris never found it.

-- Cave between Boulder and Escalante along the Escalante River (Utah). Different symbols of spiders, turtles, crosses, and other strange markings, believed to be keys to
the cave’s location, have been found there. Close to County 12, in Garfield County.

-- Henry Mountains, Utah (this is reported to be an 8-foot golden Jesus, not the 3 1/2-foot version).

-- Rock Creek (above entrance to Water Trap Mine) -- where the Jesus may have been moved by Native Americans from Kaiparowits (but is it the Rock Creek near Provo or the Rock Creek in south Utah near Escalante)?

-- Yellowstone River on Native American land.

Some questions for the group:

1) Anyone know where the cave between Escalante and Boulder is that has petroglyphs with the keys to the markings?

2) Anyone heard about the Henry Mountains being the possible location for the Jesus? An extensive article in the Jan/Feb issue of True West magazine tells quite a story about it, but haven't seen that information anywhere else.

Happy hunting, all!

NomadNora

Greenie
Mar 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
* Clarification -- the True West magazine article is from Jan/Feb 1974.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
* Clarification -- the True West magazine article is from Jan/Feb 1974.

From our research when we found treasure or other magazine articles from this time period, most often they were word for word repeats of old newspaper articles. These were typed up local oral stories, which were than in newspapers across the region or Country.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
It can take years to track them to when they first appeared.

massey631

Apr 25, 2022
Has anyone ever heard if the Golden Jesus was ever recovered? I know of the two attempts that failed.
From what I've heard and seen about the stories being told about it soo far that it has not been found yet. I mean common information is a drifter found it again and buried the walls up soo nobody could get into the cavern. I honestly think it's buried closer to Hesperus Colorado between the city and the La Plata Mountains bc of the weight of the gold being over 400 pounds and few people can move it even with 5 men picking it up. I want to think that more people are more interested in the Leon Trubuco treasure 16 tons in gold thats outside of Conger Mesa NM than this Jesus Figure due to the extent of the amount of gold. I still need to learn the treck that the Spanish group took on their way from La Sal Mountains to Santa Fe with this kind of Gold artifact in their poesession in the 1770's.

massey631

Apr 25, 2022
I believe I heard the one you refer to but The Golden Jesus was definitely a 3 1/2 foot statue wedged into a crevice while attempting to transport it to Santa Fe. It is cursed of course.
Yeah my boxer shorts are also cursed by my !@#$% sitting on them all the time but to imagine that a gold object is cursed by something is just fullish thinking. In my mind I'm still questioning why some think the gold is in the image of the Savior as a baby. I'm telling you if anyone has a valuble thing they don't play coy with it. Sure lets play coy with the fact that people want to believe that Dutch Schultz's treasure is still around the Phoenicia NY area but in all honesty it was probably found months after they put it there due to the other groups looking for it after it was reported.

Livinglegend6

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2023
My buddy found this down in southern utah. Not sure how he would feel if I went much into detail, but yeah save your breath. It's no longer there. Had I taken him more seriously and gave him a lift I'd probably be rich. Live and learn right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread