Question From New Etrac User

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
Hunted only 90 minutes or so in coin mode, and am already impressed with depth. I've had tons of reading 35/35 and around there. If I dug every one I'd be digging a hole every 2-3 feet. What the heck is down there that it is reading?

In any case, already found a merc, a wheat, a small locket, and a second place 4H pin....all over 5", and deepest almost 10". Impressive machine.

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
ive only been swinging for a few months but "Fe 35 Co 35" is probably small rusty nails

OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
It is an old habit I agree, but the vast majority were solid tone. But they were everywhere.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
As a new user of an E-trac I found it very helpful to set the machine to 4 tone from Multi. I have messed around with TTF but mostly use Coin-mode.

I have found that my good finds have increased since switching over. I think that is a three part equation 1. New/better machine 2. Better hunting site 3. Digging more targets while learning the machine. So far I have found three silver coins that did not come up all that great on the machine like silver usually does.

I really hate to say it but I will. Dig everything.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Could have your sensitivity too high, making the machine unstable or picking up minute shards of metal. If it's not set for "AUTO +3" try that. If not the sen's then try digging a few up and then if they turn out to be nails etc...ignore those tones/numbers in future.
I use "4 tones". "Multitones" is too noisy for me and is for people who want to learn and guess what they've found before digging it up to see if they're right or not. Sod that! lol.
Also make sure your tones setting is on "normal" not "smooth" or the other two settings.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
Could have your sensitivity too high, making the machine unstable or picking up minute shards of metal. If it's not set for "AUTO +3" try that. If not the sen's then try digging a few up and then if they turn out to be nails etc...ignore those tones/numbers in future.
I use "4 tones". "Multitones" is too noisy for me and is for people who want to learn and guess what they've found before digging it up to see if they're right or not. Sod that! lol.
Also make sure your tones setting is on "normal" not "smooth" or the other two settings.
Exactly! AUTO +3 till you are comfortable with tones. Later you can boost in manual to 30 if you dare. I rarely go above 26

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread