Question on Atocha type Spanish reale replica pendant with words COPY on coin

Atochafanofreplicas

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2023
Greetings to you. Years ago, was it ShopNBC? I listened to the excitement about their Atocha offerings and the person who represented the Atocha replica coins; it was exciting to listen to obviously.
In one of these conversations, there was a mention of replica coins made with COPY near the rim on it, but it may not have been from Atocha. It seems like it was a mention that they were not theirs but someone else's. But I can't remember the details about these that had COPY on them.
I am wondering if anyone knows about this/these having COPY on them? I cannot remember the whole conversation, but I think? I found one of these pendants that are of these with COPY engraved on it.
Perhaps someone here could help me. Any information about them would be so very much appreciated. Thank you. It has two dolphins on it and the outer rim is gold plated of some kind. Definitely sterling, I believe, both coin and bezel, but perhaps? the coin has more silver in it. It definitely looks well made. Thanks again. Have a wonderful day.

Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does yours resemble this ? ? ?

IMG_2099.jpg

OP
OP
A

Atochafanofreplicas

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2023
Does yours resemble this ? ? ?

View attachment 2065079
Greetings to you! THANK YOU so much for posting this photo and your reply. I appreciate that so much. And wow, there are similarities as far as the bezel part: it has a very similar bail/bale, and the rim looks somewhat similar too. And the reale coin looks familiar too, but not sure on your size, etc. But where it says Atocha 1622, on mine it simply says COPY but rather larger and like it is etched on, not a stamp impression, I think. Also, the word Copy on mine is closer to the edge and faces the other way and larger letters. But seeing this, I am beginning to sense, what I have, might possibly? be an earlier Atocha piece...perhaps? Do you happen to have other photos of this like a side profile or a front image? I would love to see it, but if you do not, of course, no worries. Additionally, I would love to know anything you want to say about this piece...when it was made, or time frame it was made, size, weight, etc. Thanks so much for everything. I so very much appreciate it. Thanks again. I am truly happy to see this! Wow!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to have to post pictures in order to go any further on this...

When posting in "What Is It?", please give members the information they need to help identify your find:

1. Post sharp close-up photos of both the front and the back.
2. State the actual size of the item. Also, if possible, put something with it in the photo for scale: a common U.S. coin, a ruler, etc.
3. If there are any inscriptions which cannot be easily read in the photos, type them in full in your post.
4. If there are maker's marks, numbers, symbols, or other marks on the back which are not easily seen in the photo, post a closeup or a drawing of them.
5. Indicate the composition of the item. For example: "thin brass, filled with lead on the back."
6. Knowing where you found the item or how you got it can also be helpful in identifying the find.

• Once your item has been identified, don't forget to mark it "Solved."

• Finally, if someone identifies your item or provides other helpful information, take time to post your appreciation.

OP
OP
A

Atochafanofreplicas

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2023
You are going to have to post pictures in order to go any further on this...

When posting in "What Is It?", please give members the information they need to help identify your find:

1. Post sharp close-up photos of both the front and the back.
2. State the actual size of the item. Also, if possible, put something with it in the photo for scale: a common U.S. coin, a ruler, etc.
3. If there are any inscriptions which cannot be easily read in the photos, type them in full in your post.
4. If there are maker's marks, numbers, symbols, or other marks on the back which are not easily seen in the photo, post a closeup or a drawing of them.
5. Indicate the composition of the item. For example: "thin brass, filled with lead on the back."
6. Knowing where you found the item or how you got it can also be helpful in identifying the find.

• Once your item has been identified, don't forget to mark it "Solved."

• Finally, if someone identifies your item or provides other helpful information, take time to post your appreciation.
I am so sorry, but I am currently having cloud issues...thereby, I cannot get my pictures in my computer. I apologize.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings to you. Years ago, was it ShopNBC? I listened to the excitement about their Atocha offerings and the person who represented the Atocha replica coins; it was exciting to listen to obviously.
In one of these conversations, there was a mention of replica coins made with COPY near the rim on it, but it may not have been from Atocha. It seems like it was a mention that they were not theirs but someone else's. But I can't remember the details about these that had COPY on them.
I am wondering if anyone knows about this/these having COPY on them? I cannot remember the whole conversation, but I think? I found one of these pendants that are of these with COPY engraved on it.
Perhaps someone here could help me. Any information about them would be so very much appreciated. Thank you. It has two dolphins on it and the outer rim is gold plated of some kind. Definitely sterling, I believe, both coin and bezel, but perhaps? the coin has more silver in it. It definitely looks well made. Thanks again. Have a wonderful day.
Welcome to Tnet!!!

OP
OP
A

Atochafanofreplicas

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2023
Greetings to you all. I have some photos. I would appreciate any and all info that anyone here may have or simply any comments about it, your stories per related topic, etc. Thank you so much. Since I posted above, I have discovered there may be different kinds of this same type, that is, with real gold or not--perhaps. I do believe mine is gold plated or vermeil on the bezel part. (It is obvious by the wear on the one dolphin.) What I really would like to know, more than anything, if it is actually at least sterling on these two parts: the bezel and the coin replica. If anyone knows that it is a sure thing (or?), and if it also has shipwreck silver therein from shipwreck bars found, I would love to know that too (if they know the source, who made it, etc). It is about one and 1/8 inches wide (not bail) and weighs 9.5 grams. A photo shows COPY on it. Also, the bezel artist had done so much soldering on it, especially under the dolphins, that it extends on the coin making it permanently set therein. On the coin underneath the top dolphin's nose there is a hole that goes right through the replica coin, and there is a pin hole also in the coin near the bottom but kind of out of view. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• 95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 7.JPG
    95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 7.JPG
    318.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 6.JPG
    95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 6.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 41
  • 95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 5.JPG
    95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 5.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 4.JPG
    95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 4.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 3.JPG
    95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 3.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 2.JPG
    95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture 2.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture.JPG
    95 Silver coin replica in Sterling Dolphins bezel pendant 9 point 5 grams capture.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 39

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
A

Atochafanofreplicas

Tenderfoot
Jan 16, 2023
I think that some replica coins were made from the silver bars found when they located the wreckage
Yes, absolutely, and they even used sunken silver bars for replicas of religious jewelry they found in the wreckage as well (not including bails, bezels, chains, etc. but just the replica item), but later only a mix of both from the bars and from other sources. I noticed today that some pieces, mostly coins, are still being made from these bars, but now it is noted as being just a bit of it therein and the rest of the silver from elsewhere. I do believe they still give authenticity certificates for all of them. If it is a "real" Spanish reales coin, it will also have a number and signature, I believe.
I am interested to know if anyone knows the source of the coin pendant I posted here...I would appreciate having an idea what this is...especially, of course, the metal(s). But also when it was made, who, where, etc. Thanks so much.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you post pictures with natural lighting, the lighting on your pictures is terrible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread