NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bill in a small envelope of birth and wedding certificates dating to the late 1800's so I'm fairly sure it's real just based on the other items that were with it. My question is how do I tell for certain? I've looked at them online and it seems to be a dead on match, and it isn't marked "copy" anywhere. Is this one that is likely to have been counterfeited? It looks and feels old enough, and it has that "old paper smell" Sorry about the pic, I'll try to scan it if need be.
100.jpg

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm starting to think that everything is being faked today. Take your bill to a well established coin shop. I'm sure they can tell you if it's real and what it's worth. As for fakes, I took two roman coins to a shop last week. He said he wasn't sure if they were real and pulled out a dozen fake ones. Fake roman coins in Texas? I have seen it all.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the envelope it was in also had a baptism certificate in German from 1868, a receipt for a grave vault from 1870, and receipts from a marriage license and birth certificate from 1891. I can't imagine that someone would have stuffed a fake Confederate bill in with those things especially since they were in the attic of an old house, and I actually found them in the box that the people were about to throw out. There were two newer receipts dated 1928 in with them, and I have no doubt the envelope was sealed since then. So I guess mainly what I need to know is when did fakes start to be made, and if it is an old fake how can I tell the difference?

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were fake bill bills made even during the civil war.
This was done by the north on confederate money and by the south to union bills. The intent was to try to disrupt the confidence in the value of the financial backing for the war effort. Of course, many sharpsters would counterfeit bills for the same reason they do it today.
A "period era" counterfeit bill is collectible.

I'm no expert on confederate bills, but it LOOKS real enough to me.

Best,
Scott

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
To tell the difference between real and fake: The paper is thin and fragile - and the signature would be brown from the oxidation of the ink. The ink "rusts." and often soaks through from front to back. It looks real to me.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To tell the difference between real and fake: The paper is thin and fragile - and the signature would be brown from the oxidation of the ink. The ink "rusts." and often soaks through from front to back. It looks real to me.
Yeah since I found it I did a lot of reading up on Confederate bills and got pretty good at spotting real vs. fake. This one is 100% real and is framed on my wall now

ole miss rebel

Feb 22, 2013
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The signatures verify real. Aside, I was reading where the women back then were offended how they were being portrayed on those notes in the 1800's, especially the railroad notes. You'll notice a lot of breast showing, so the engravers had to change their ways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread