Question On Upright Angled Gravel Screen / Sifter / Sieve - To Automatically Fill Buckets With -1/4 Inch Material

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Barely a weekend warrior. Hard rock + placer together = a more complete sampling picture for AU.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anyone use an upright, angled gravel screen/sifter (like in the video below) that sieves material and directs material into your bucket(s) underneath automatically. Seems to me that you could get into a good rhythm hurling shovels at a sifting screen.

Note - I'm talking about the simple gravel screens made using a wood frame and 1/4 inch hardware cloth aka metal mesh, not anything mechancial (no shaker decks), and using gravity and downward momentum to classify material automatically.

Example of gravel screen in action: (not my video, not my product, not affiliated with the manufacturer).

In wet areas such as BC, Canada I would add a wet tote at the bottom of the slide with a shopping basket to wash off the muddy oversized material and soak clays. Lift, shake, dump.

FYI - in the video the guy hurls 6 shovels in 23 seconds, which would easily be 8-10 shovels+ in 1 minute, classified to minus 1/4 inch, using gravity and momentum, no bucket shaking required.

Because the screened material would be all minus 1/4 inch, and not totally saturated with water the buckets would be lighter to carry to your concentration process (e.g. gold pan, sluice, highbanker, etc).

Watch video to see an example of an angled, upright gravel sifter screen in action:

Curious to hear your thoughts about angled gravel screens, and whether or not you use one to enable you to move more yardage per day - regardless of whether you use a regular gold pan, production pan, sluice, highbanker, gold cube, etc.

Upvote 1

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The more dry the material is the better this will work is my 2 - cents.

A course screen will work better.

OP
OP
PickAxeCA

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Barely a weekend warrior. Hard rock + placer together = a more complete sampling picture for AU.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The more dry the material is the better this will work is my 2 - cents.

A course screen will work better.
Assembler - good points, I agree.

The material has to be clean and dry enough for a gravel screen to work.

This is the case in most areas where I prospect.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Assembler - good points, I agree.

The material has to be clean and dry enough for a gravel screen to work.

This is the case in most areas where I prospect.
It is a real problem here in western Oregon.
Good luck.

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This guy also made up a system to run wet material similar to the dry system but I didn't check the vid. I thought the system was nice, clean, simple, and pretty damned effective if relatively easy site access...????

OP
OP
PickAxeCA

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This guy also made up a system to run wet material similar to the dry system but I didn't check the vid. I thought the system was nice, clean, simple, and pretty damned effective if relatively easy site access...????

Yes, for a claim that is easily accessible by truck, the wheelbarrow screening system looks pretty efficient.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a slanted screen when out drywashing and it works pretty well. A caveat is that you will likely have dirt clods that get rejected along with the oversize gravel and rocks. Those clods potentially contain gold so I often break up larger clods and re screen them. For that matter, I also often re process the drywasher tails (in hopes the clods break down further) when it appears to contain a lot of clods.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PickAxeCA

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a slanted screen when out drywashing and it works pretty well. A caveat is that you will likely have dirt clods that get rejected along with the oversize gravel and rocks. Those clods potentially contain gold so I often break up larger clods and re screen them. For that matter, I also often re process the drywasher tails (in hopes the clods break down further) when it appears to contain a lot of clods.

Good luck.

@arizau - I would want a wet tote or tub below the slanted screen, with a lift basket, e.g. a shopping basket with 1/4 inch openings, to soak the oversized material. Lift, shake dump. That would eliminate any issues with dirt clumps not going through the gravel screen, and would soak any mucky material, clay or caliche for longer. Appreciate your comments! -Xplore

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you ad a spray bar you might as well be running a highbanker. I have been planning on making a wooden frame angled screen for feeding buckets for up here in Nor Cal as the summers are getting pretty dry. I have actually used my drywasher along the Trinity River one particularly dry summer.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like angle screens, but the dirt is so compact here that without at least shaking it or running a gloved hand over it, I lose too much. If you want a hand operated machine, you could also try a small trommel.
I run my little Gold Fox all the time.
But if you just want to classify in the bush, then this little home made one is something to think about -

OP
OP
PickAxeCA

PickAxeCA

Nov 1, 2018
Okanagan, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like angle screens, but the dirt is so compact here that without at least shaking it or running a gloved hand over it, I lose too much. If you want a hand operated machine, you could also try a small trommel.
But if you just want to classify in the bush, then this little home made one is something to think about -

That's a nice hand crank trommel, I'll bet you could classify a lot of material very quickly with it.

I work in some areas where the material is relatively loose, so an angled screen would work well.

I'm planning on putting a wet tote at the bottom of the angled screen with a lift basket to soak and wash off the oversized material. That way, you only have to shake and then dump the +1/4 inch material which will be much lighter without all the -1/4 inch sand and gravels.

Appreciate your comments.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread