Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out with a friend very recently near Wheeling, WV. We were hunting a creek bank, and trying to avoid timber rattlers. That part was successful. We both spied a white arrowhead sticking out of the bank apparently at the same time, he beat me to it, but I wound up with it and I sort of indicated he could walk home if he didn't give it to me! (Actually I gave him something else for it.) But I saw it first! I just can't move that fast.

It is apparently something called Burlington Chert, from Illinois. Do you think it could have been carried there millennium ago or do you think I was pranked, and my buddy put it there prior to my arrival? It just seems a long way for it to travel. Site is close to where he lives. I didn't find much else. I don't have a pic of it yet, was out today in the other direction and bone tired.

I DID find a Flint Ridge, Ohio blade here in MD 400 miles from Flint Ridge a long time ago. I still have it. Just wanted some opinions.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks all. There is a very similar one on Ebay right now and the price is big enough to choke on. Glad I don't want to buy one!

Monsterrack made me one, he does great work....it is the only one I am likely to ever get!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Flint Ridge, Ohio several times over the last couple years. I brought some extra bigger pieces home and tried to make - anything! *gasp* I did manage to make larger rocks into smaller ones. Nothing recognizable.

Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First ... I don't think that is Burlington. Second its amazing material whatever it is. Astounding find. Dobt be surprised if others are skeptical as you was. As for me??? I like it!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it too! It's a keeper, even with a ding. That patina is awesome. It MAY BE flint ridge. I actually found a flint ridge flake near Binghamton, NY (sort of nearby), on the banks of the Susquehanna yesterday. Could easily be Flint Ridge. I understand not a lot of paleo indians used that material, but they certainly knew about it.

(BTW a little later in the day my collecting partner found a black one, so we are good.) He found that one all by himself! Sometimes we find no relics, some other days are totally awesome, that's how it goes.

Regarding the hundreds a day, I wish...I found about 15 one day on the Susquehanna DURING a flood. They were washing out on a sandy section. That was when we are allowed to do that.

Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Lord that is a gorgeous point, I just love the look of that material! My hunting buddy would have been thrown in the creek before I let him grab that one! A rare and beautiful point, thanks for sharing it with us.

Steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just under 4". I hadn't measured it! I had a sharply pointed digger with me, he didn't...just kidding but as I started to go for it, he jumped in, but I saw it first, by a millisecond.

I THINK I found an obelisk petroglyph yesterday. Still staring at it to figure it out.

Upvote 0

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Garscale that it probably isn't Burlington. I have found a lot of Burlington and have never seen any with that type of luster. A clovis just under 4" is a find of a lifetime. Congratulations.

Upvote 0

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Garscale that it probably isn't Burlington. I have found a lot of Burlington and have never seen any with that type of luster. A clovis just under 4" is a find of a lifetime. Congratulations.
What it actually looks like is heat treated novaculite. That would be bad news so I'm guessing its a material up there in not familiar with.

Hey why not post it in the indian artifact forum

Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in IL and I've knapped Burlington for 22 yrs. and that's not any kind of Burlington I've ever seen. I don't know what it is, but it looks like it's been heated. In my book, heated paleo points are likely fake. I hope someone didn't ding you. Gary

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew ANYTHING about points! I can name a few types and have looked some up online, however, my forte is Rev War and Civil War. All the Flint Ridge, Ohio material is native heat treated. We even find the cores, tools and flakes there that have been heat treated. I may try a new place to look tomorrow. Lots of rain on the newly planted fields overnight. Gotta wake up first this morning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread