CREATURE

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
woodville,fl
Detector(s) used
i have the basic bounty hunter ex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live in the Tallahassee area and was wondering if anyone could help me out. theres an old traing base near by that was either civil war or ww1 or 2 . has not been touched in a long time that i can see. my question is does anyone know if i can legally hunt it? also wondering if hunting in water is ok? if theres anyone wanting to hunt hit me up, i started a group on here for treasure hunters in Tallahassee.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

i live in the Tallahassee area and was wondering if anyone could help me out. theres an old traing base near by that was either civil war or ww1 or 2 . has not been touched in a long time that i can see. my question is does anyone know if i can legally hunt it? also wondering if hunting in water is ok? if theres anyone wanting to hunt hit me up, i started a group on here for treasure hunters in Tallahassee.

creature, you're giving a date-range of the site as anything between CW era (1860s) to WWII (1940s). That's quite a range! I would think that with a little internet sluething (if you have a name of the base, etc...) that you could hone that down.

And what makes you think no one's ever hit it before (or not "in a long time") ?? Especially if it dated to CW times, then you can rest assured it's been hit. There's no shortage of CW relic-enthusiast hunters all over the south, that "do their homework" and hit every conceivable place. I mean, anything's possible, of course. But my experience is that if there's any hunters worth their salt in a geographic locale, they don't let a good site go un-hunted. Even if someone currently there on duty says "no one's ever hunted here before", it usually means they simply don't know :)

As for whether it's "legal" or not, you don't say whether it's an active base still. And if so, is it a closed base or open base, etc... For example, is there anything that stops you or anyone from simply going there, walking around, etc...? (like if it were an active and "closed" base where post 9/11 security still exists). If thats' not the case, and we're talking a closed base, or something that's no longer even a base to begin with, and nothing to stop someone from being there, then it's merely a question of what entity land it is now. Eg.: city? county? private? state? federal? etc... and even within each of those entities, there various *types* of land within each. For example, let's say it's federal land. Well not all federal land is federal "park" land, and so forth.

So you're going to need to be more specific.

OP
OP
C

CREATURE

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
woodville,fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i did find more on this. NEWPORT GHOST TOWN: it was a town built in 1843 it was distroyed then rebiult just to be burned down 2 or 3 years later. it also had a training facility off the south end of the town. there where around 30 perminant residents there. it is gated off and has signs on the trees have not been there yet. im supposed to be takin the jet ski out saturday for more investigating. also hunting nearby munitions area from the same time period.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

...... im supposed to be takin the jet ski out saturday for more investigating.....

If the question is "can you metal detect it?", then I suppose you can broaden the question to "can you even be there?" The fact that you can take a jet-ski there (legally?) tells me that you are allowed to be there, right? The persons are not prohibited from the act of merely being there? So if that's the case (if the public is not dis-allowed from being there), then all you need to do is tell us who the current owner is. Ie.: is it still an active federal base? Or is it some other form of federal... or state ... or county ... or city land ?

OP
OP
C

CREATURE

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
woodville,fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats what im trying to find out saturday. theres a port on one side supplies used to be brought in from the gulf. there is a nearby bridge,camping, and boat launch.north of the bridge is the munitions place and south of the bridge is the ghost town. going to drive up to the gate for info on the town and take jet ski up river to the munitions place. if you would like to see the ghost town area googlmap newport park and outiz too bar and grill ( just below the bar)

OP
OP
C

CREATURE

Greenie
Jan 22, 2014
woodville,fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry its tallahassee fl 32305 and the rivers name is st marks river