Question

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I’m waiting on a new Nokta-makro-simplex that I ordered. It’s waterproof and, due to ground frost, I’ll be starting in a creek (2-3 ft. Deep). Do I need to do anything special with this unit? I’ve never had a chance to detect under water so this is brand new to me. I don’t want to damage the detector, due to my ignorance. Thanks

Pick_axe

May 3, 2015
Columbus NM
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m waiting on a new Nokta-makro-simplex that I ordered. It’s waterproof and, due to ground frost, I’ll be starting in a creek (2-3 ft. Deep). Do I need to do anything special with this unit? I’ve never had a chance to detect under water so this is brand new to me. I don’t want to damage the detector, due to my ignorance. Thanks
I just pulled the trigger on the same machine. Should be here early next week. From what I've seen, the simplex is good down to 3 meters depth. Here's a head-to-head shootout with a $1400 machine on Ytube:

Should be good in the water right out of the box!

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I just pulled the trigger on the same machine. Should be here early next week. From what I've seen, the simplex is good down to 3 meters depth. Here's a head-to-head shootout with a $1400 machine on Ytube:

Should be good in the water right out of the box!

Ill check that out. Thanks and good luck with yours. Mine arrived today and is charging.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my Simplex exclusively in the water. All summer in Lake Tahoe and other mountain lakes and rivers. It has helped me to harvest lots of gold and silver jewelry, and many silver coins. Never had a problem with it whatsoever. The SP24 coil moves through the water much easier than the factory coil. It seems better suited to water than The Legend, which I use exclusively on dry ground.

One thing I did to make it more comfortable was to buy the headphone connector plug on fleabay with a 3 foot set of wires already molded in and waterproof. On the other end I soldered on a mini headphone socket so I can use any wired headphones I want. I clip that connector to my cap so the connection doesn't get wet unless I go in over my head (I try to avoid that). I really like the waterproof JVC earbuds with an over ear clip, also available on fleabay for $10-12.

If you look at my posts from the summer, you'll see that detector has paid for itself many times over, and several times in a single hunt!

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I use my Simplex exclusively in the water. All summer in Lake Tahoe and other mountain lakes and rivers. It has helped me to harvest lots of gold and silver jewelry, and many silver coins. Never had a problem with it whatsoever. The SP24 coil moves through the water much easier than the factory coil. It seems better suited to water than The Legend, which I use exclusively on dry ground.

One thing I did to make it more comfortable was to buy the headphone connector plug on fleabay with a 3 foot set of wires already molded in and waterproof. On the other end I soldered on a mini headphone socket so I can use any wired headphones I want. I clip that connector to my cap so the connection doesn't get wet unless I go in over my head (I try to avoid that). I really like the waterproof JVC earbuds with an over ear clip, also available on fleabay for $10-12.

If you look at my posts from the summer, you'll see that detector has paid for itself many times over, and several times in a single hunt!
I appreciate the info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread