Coinmaster pro, at gold. Gold monster 1000. Equinox 800, sdc 2300, soon D2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You only need to clean it out when you quit for a time. As long as its running correctly and not loading up, it will keep holding the gold. The worst thing for gold loss is surging. If you are going to stop and take a lunch break or something else, then go ahead and dump it and wash it clean.

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you classify the material before you run it thru the box it will work really well for you..Keep your hands out dont rile up the material behind the riffles.. That is one good reason for classifying first...

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So moving the material is bad news and if the material is building up behind the grates its set up wrong?

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright thanks. Im watching it now. I'll be posting a video on my youtube channel "the wandering fools" on friday if you want to see how we do it. I feel like we're making a lot of mistakes but we're new to this and its a learning process.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stream sluices can be a pain in the ass. You need them close to the best location for gold drop, but that may be a terrible spot for the sluice. You need enough water flow for the material, but not so much you are blowing out the fines. You need the right amount of drop, but that can be very hard to achieve if the stream is too flat, too shallow or too deep or too rocky. You can spend a lot of time building wing-dams and getting the box set just right, you need a good gold spot to make it worth the time involved.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sluice box legs make setup much easier, at least for me anyway.

sluice legs.jpeg

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is our find running it the way we have been. Im just wondering how much we've lost doing it this way. The first part of the video will be out tomorrow
IMG_20191030_150628_293.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With gold that big, dont worry about the fines! Just concentrate on moving that material!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sluice legs really are amazing, when you try it you feel like a huge bone head idiot for not doing so years before. Yeah finding a good sluice spot near your hole is a pain.

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sluice legs really are amazing, when you try it you feel like a huge bone head idiot for not doing so years before. Yeah finding a good sluice spot near your hole is a pain.
We're heading back tomorrow for a 2 day expedition for more gold. I'll be filming the 3rd part of my little sluice big money youtube video. I can already see a ton of mistakes we've made. But this is a learning process

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, the sluice angle is very importment, if water current is fast the material moves right thru, is the current is slow you really need to classify to 3/8s or so, in order for the box to work, the material has to move thru so its up to you to make the proper adjustments. This is common sense stuff, ive been doing this since the early 70s just trying to pass on useful info i had to learn on my own...

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We're heading back tomorrow for a 2 day expedition for more gold.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the sluice angle is very importment, if water current is fast the material moves right thru, is the current is slow you really need to classify to 3/8s or so, in order for the box to work, the material has to move thru so its up to you to make the proper adjustments. This is common sense stuff, ive been doing this since the early 70s just trying to pass on useful info i had to learn on my own...
We've done some research this thread being some of that research. We got the angles set up alright (we think...measuring tape, and level) amd feel we found a good bit of gold over the last 2 days. I'll update when we get itnall weighed out. Thanks for the help everyone

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
We've done some research this thread being some of that research. We got the angles set up alright (we think...measuring tape, and level) amd feel we found a good bit of gold over the last 2 days. I'll update when we get itnall weighed out. Thanks for the help everyone

Finding the right angle is a little more than just using a tape and level.......

You need to set up the sluice and get the water flowing through it then toss in some material that you are going to run.
Then watch how it acts in the sluice, too steep and fast will wash out material and gold too quickly.

Too shallow and angle and too slow water flow will just let the material build up and then any additional material will just flow over the top of the plugged up riffles.

So you just need to do a little fine tuning from the initial setup....( Unless you were lucky enough to nail it )..... and watch how the material processes ... Don't overfeed, you have to let the water and riffle do the work for a proper exchange rate.

Here are a couple vids from Doc at gold hog that just might help you .... a lot....

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright. I'll check them out. This is a learning process and we are still very new to the whole thing. I'll be posting all 3 videos on my channel (the wandering fools) if you want to see how poorly we set it up. Haha. We found a good bit but because of our set up we probably lost just as much. Gonna go fight the black sand right now

OP
OP
sushidingo

sushidingo

Mar 3, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_20191107_082346_304.jpg 4 hours and not through all my material

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like your doing something right......:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread