Quick thought: aliens vs metal detectors

4treasures

Greenie
Dec 9, 2010
As a mega decade-plus reader (much more of a doer than talker-poster), as well as a sci fi fan (some)...a thought...
We struggle to understand, produce, and to master a metal detector that can find even one mineral on our own planet, we often struggle/debate identifying something just 3 inches below our own feet. Think that though a bit, at least into that next paragraph.
If any alien civilization at all bothers with us, which would inevitably SUCK, and I'm pretty sure they won't be wallowing in our mud for specks of gold/whatever (Gold is largely ridiculous overall, except in perceived value...don't get me wrong, I'll take yours if you don't want it ;)).

Sooo, thoughts...if you were an alien to this planet, what resources would you prioritize, and why? Pick whatever alien scenario you like as long as it's semi-plausable, please. And skip the obvious like water and atmosphere...think a bit outside the box! Go!

Upvote 4

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Funny I was just pondering about something like this the other day. I was thinking if they’re studying us and watching what we’re doing and I thought what would they be thinking while watching us exctract gold and other minerals from our planet. Is it silly to them or do they understand it’s monetary value to man? To answer your question, I think the resources they would be interested in or already taking from us are our planets natural minerals. I think our oil and natural gas resources would also be of priority to them. I mean do you think those things run on some kind of high powered battery or solar recharge system??.. I doubt it, it’s gotta be something that could propel a craft at that speed like nuclear propulsion, like from uranium or some other nuclear fuel that causes no harmful green house gases because they leave no trace of fumes or odour when they visit.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just think about it the other way around.......what would WE go to take if we were the ones exploring the Galaxy. IMO, it would be whatever we need or want the most.....be it gold, food, oxygen, etc. I would expect aliens to do the same.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They wouldn’t come here. They’d get close enough to see all of our space junk and realize that we are idiots and have probably made a mess of any resources already. They would be right.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They may not be coming for anything other than just to say "Howdy"..:hello:

As for our resources, what we call "precious metals" are generally found
in vast quantities in meteors flying all over the galaxy. Gold, platinum,
nickel, diamonds, etc.

Water is very common all over the universe, usually in ice form. Hydrogen
is the most common element in the universe, so they aren't after our
water or air.

One thing they can not find elsewhere (as far as we know) is our diverse
life forms, from whales to virus's. Maybe they're meat eaters and looking
for Earth cows and chickens?

Ultimately, they could be just saying hello, or, they're going to kill us all
and take over our planet after terraforming it to their requirements. ufo-021.gif

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read once that the universe has all the basics - minerals, water ice, et al that alien life could access without coming here - one thing they don't have - chlorophyll.

Just a piece of trivia from my mind.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be totally baffled by humanity and all their antics! Oh, wait! I already am totally baffled!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to ancient Sumerian cuneiform tablets, aliens have already spent considerable time on earth mining gold to repair their planets atmosphere. They eventually hybridized humans to do the hard work for them, and we are programmed to desire gold so that when they return they can put us to work mining gold for them again.
In the meantime if you get abducted by aliens, be sure to hang onto any gold jewelry you are wearing, as they will take it from you in the twinkling of an eye.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They wouldn’t come here. They’d get close enough to see all of our space junk and realize that we are idiots and have probably made a mess of any resources already. They would be right.
Imagine them arriving and seeing all the "space junk" and saying too much junk to get through here! Let's head over to that park on Jupiter. I truly think the reason they've never made contact is it'd be like us driving through S. Central L.A. Let the kids out of the UFO? He'll no! Roll up the window, and let's get out of here!
Hmm... kind of like, how many pull tabs you wanna dig to get to the goodies.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aliens will clearly prioritize seated dimes and half dimes because they will think they’re pretty. They will invent a device that harvests all the seateds out of the ground and they will exterminate anyone who resists giving their seateds to them. They don’t care about the mercury dimes or walker halves. They find that bundle of rods on the back of the dime offensive and they just really dislike eagles. They think eagles are inferior bugs which deserve to die. For that reason they murdered all the eagles when they first landed. The only reason they like Liberty seated is because the shape of her in the chair reminds them of their written character that means “we take over your world.” They plan to glue the seateds to their spaceships, one victory coin for every world conquered. So they are basically pillaging Earth for cheap souvenirs. They want to collect them all. At least it’s better than collecting the heads of your enemies.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe water is somewhat scarce in the universe, perhaps that could be it.

Water is very abundant in the galaxy, mostly in frozen form.

Both Jupiter's moon, Europa, and Saturn's moon Enceladus likely have more water than the Earth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread