Quick thought: aliens vs metal detectors

4treasures

Greenie
Dec 9, 2010
As a mega decade-plus reader (much more of a doer than talker-poster), as well as a sci fi fan (some)...a thought...
We struggle to understand, produce, and to master a metal detector that can find even one mineral on our own planet, we often struggle/debate identifying something just 3 inches below our own feet. Think that though a bit, at least into that next paragraph.
If any alien civilization at all bothers with us, which would inevitably SUCK, and I'm pretty sure they won't be wallowing in our mud for specks of gold/whatever (Gold is largely ridiculous overall, except in perceived value...don't get me wrong, I'll take yours if you don't want it ;)).

Sooo, thoughts...if you were an alien to this planet, what resources would you prioritize, and why? Pick whatever alien scenario you like as long as it's semi-plausable, please. And skip the obvious like water and atmosphere...think a bit outside the box! Go!

Upvote 4

NJearthman

Oct 31, 2020
Central Jersey THE CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, EQUINOX 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK! ACK!
1637425802444.gif

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is one single reason to visit a planet like the Earth: biodiversity - not something that requires to be concoured by force but rather something that could be copied without our notion.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is one single reason to visit a planet like the Earth: biodiversity - not something that requires to be conquered by force but rather something that could be copied without our notion.

Providing that their planet is pretty much just exactly like the Earth.
Same atmospheric composition, carbon based life forms, etc. If not, Earths biodiversity could be deadly poisonous to them.

Reulte

Jun 26, 2013
Currently Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iridium because, you know, why not?

If they like chlorophyll, they'll love hemoglobin (the human analog of chlorophyll).

Actually, since chemicals are essentially 'everywhere', I suspect they'd want some more complicated chemicals that are NOT universally available. Chemicals in the human body are worth about $600 (I remember when it used to be $1.98... I'm old and there's inflation). However, if you consider those same chemicals as hormones and organs, the price goes up into the millions. A human heart is about $1 million, liver about half that and kidney about a quarter. So, only four organs and we're already up to $2 million... add in the pancreas, lungs, eyes, skin, blood vessels, bones, ligaments...

Maybe even the brain would be useful.

*cue Twilight Zone theme music and the zombipocalypse*

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lithium Crystals. intergalactic craft are powered by them. Have you not watched Star Trek? Lol

Electrician819

Apr 8, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you mentioned, gold is not ridiculous at all. It is a very scarce resource on earth. Gold has many qualities that other metals lack and it is one of the best conductors of electricity on earth. I will go for these resources, and it's not for the lust or value we place on it, just because it's an exceptional element on the periodic table.

Last edited:

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sling shot got it right! You guys joke, for ye know not.
The Sumerian Tablets tell it all. The Annunaki were here and in some form they are still here,
You should enlighten yourself and read the copper tablets, and Sumerian Tablets., the oldest know form of writing, and they will tell you what aliens are doing here.
Genesis: "And there were giants in those days."
G O L D is mentioned in the Bible more than any subject.

Electrician819

Apr 8, 2017
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sumerian Tablets tell it all. The Annunaki were here and in some form they are still here,
You should enlighten yourself and read the copper tablets, and Sumerian Tablets., the oldest know form of writing, and they will tell you what aliens are doing here.
Interesting, I will read on the subject.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Zachariah Sitchen has made a fine living writing books about the
Anunnaki, I've read many and found them interesting, but in truth his
theories have been disproven many times over.

FYI: "Love" is much more common than "gold". In the KJV, gold is
mentioned 361 times, and love is mentioned 422 times. That's all I'll say, as religious discussion is not allowed.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Until elements can be created at will, there will be a need to obtain them from where they already are. Depending on the application , a rare earth element, (which really are not all that rare), may be more valuable than gold. It all depends what one is using it for. If you were starving and came across a lump of gold or a cheeseburger, which would you prefer? Whatever their need is, will determine what is desired.

To look at the question differently, if we went to another planet, what would we be looking for? If you came across an unlimited supply of gold, it would then have little real value. Supply and demand create the value.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's Gold in them there skies...

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Seeing that the distances in space are almost too great to comprehend....the closest star is 4.6 light years away.... it's my guess that any aliens that are capable of visiting our planet have had to figure out how to manipulate space/time. And if they have figured out how to do that, they will likely have NO need for anything or care one iota about anyone on this planet. If they do decide to stop here, it would likely be just to make a quick pit stop to relieve themselves on their way to visit their buddies on the other side of the universe. In their minds, earth is just the equivalent of a filthy gas station restroom and humanity is just the dominant breed of cockroaches infesting that restroom. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread