Raman Spectroscopy

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
is a procedure that has provoked no little debate/disagreement here in years past -- largely because if it is indeed a valid method of determining the age (etc.) of a flint (or other) artifact, then authentication services like Insight's merit serious reconsideration by people who like to scoff at it. (It has long since been the gold standard of flint identification).

In this case it's being used to evaluate artifacts older than those dealt with here in North America, and proving its value once again:

www.phys.org/news/2020-10-ancient-hominins-stone-tools.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
That URL was repeatedly garbled by the forum software, every time introducing some new malfunction, and not linking to the corrected version. (Look at what it did to it when you click the above link & reach the 404 error report !!!)

type in (manually)
phys.org
news
2020-10-ancient-hominins-stone-tools.html

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Try it this way then. Clear the address field, type in www.
then copy and paste
phys.org/news/2020-10-ancient-hominins-stone-tools.html

OR Search phys.org + ancient hominins used fire to make stone tools.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That URL was repeatedly garbled by the forum software, every time introducing some new malfunction, and not linking to the corrected version. (Look at what it did to it when you click the above link & reach the 404 error report !!!)

type in (manually)
phys.org
news

The problem isn't Treasurenet software, it is the way you posted the link, If you left off the www. and instead used https:// it would work. I pasted the proper link just above your link.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem isn't Treasurenet software, it is the way you posted the link, If you left off the www. and instead used https:// it would work. I pasted the proper link just above your link.
The last time I omitted www., it wasn't a live link. (Trusting 73 year old memory on that). What I DO know is that every time I fixed one character & hit Post, another one was messed up. After playing whack-a-mole five or six times, I thoughf it was finally fixed -- only to find it had saved every wrong character.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since that is all low heat technology it would seem that it could be easily replicated at your own home. Safety glasses required!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I omitted www., it wasn't a live link. (Trusting 73 year old memory on that). What I DO know is that every time I fixed one character & hit Post, another one was messed up. After playing whack-a-mole five or six times, I thoughf it was finally fixed -- only to find it had saved every wrong character.
If you copied the address bar of the web page and posted it, it works fine, that is all I did. It works every time I do it. :icon_thumright:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

type in (manually)
phys.org
news
To be honest I have not read all this in great detail. Is the just of this that the age of a flint artifact can be determined by this method? Not just the age of the flint, but when someone fashioned it into a tool or weapon? If that is correct, I may be stupid, but I cannot wrap my head around that. I can see how determining the age of the flint is possible, but not how to determine when Grog made a tool from it. Sorry if I read this wrong. Not being disagreeable, just trying to learn.

OP
OP
uniface

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
To be honest I have not read all this in great detail. Is the just of this that the age of a flint artifact can be determined by this method? Not just the age of the flint, but when someone fashioned it into a tool or weapon? If that is correct, I may be stupid, but I cannot wrap my head around that. I can see how determining the age of the flint is possible, but not how to determine when Grog made a tool from it. Sorry if I read this wrong. Not being disagreeable, just trying to learn.
Executive summary overview:
www.studylib.net/doc/7535799/to-document-number_25-ft-payne

Fuller account in context: google up
A Review of the Cumberland Fluted Point
(researchgate.net)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try clicking on the link you copied -- not your copy of it.
Here is the link I copied from the website, it leads directly to the article.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.

Glitch must be in my POS tablet then.
No problem, if it was the site software I would admit it and get admins to fix it. I tested multiple times by copying the page address and pasting and it worked every time.

I just wanted to be sure the site is working for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread