Ranch Revisited - 8 Years Later with Equinox 800

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
There is a small 15 acre ranch right down the road from me (less than a mile) that I detected pretty hard 8 years ago. There was one corner area loaded with iron that I avoided. I decided to go back with a new machine (Equinox 800) and a positive attitude aided by the fact that this place is only a 2 minute drive from my house. Eight years ago I pulled out several seated coins and a number of relics. It's an active ranch with horses, cows (no bull thank god!) and sheep all nicely separated from each other. Now to brave the junky area. Maybe it was a dump or someones iron hoard. Anyway I hunted with 5 gallon buckets nearby in an attempt to thin out the iron a bit. Here is a days work on the iron front:

Iron.jpg

I've had several friends saying it's just not worth digging all that. I don't mind and did I mention it's only a 2 minute drive from my house? Ha!

I did find a 1912S wheat and one nice silver 1897S barber:

Barber obv 1897S.jpg Barber Rev 1897S.jpg Wheat 1912S.jpg

Also found an interesting brass grommet with a Aug 26 1884 patent date with a No. 3 on it. Maybe used on a flag??

Grommet 8-26-1884.jpg

Also found a newer (probably 1990's) high-end knife that will be fun to work on:

Knife KW.jpg

There is still a ton of iron in that corner. Would you go back or spend time trying to find greener (and cleaner) pastures?

Upvote 36

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the silver.
I have a site 5 minutes away dug a GW Button, military, coinage, relics.
I want to actually sift it out, as the iron is so concentrated.
But after many buckets of iron, it's a labour of love.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a small 15 acre ranch right down the road from me (less than a mile) that I detected pretty hard 8 years ago. There was one corner area loaded with iron that I avoided. I decided to go back with a new machine (Equinox 800) and a positive attitude aided by the fact that this place is only a 2 minute drive from my house. Eight years ago I pulled out several seated coins and a number of relics. It's an active ranch with horses, cows (no bull thank god!) and sheep all nicely separated from each other. Now to brave the junky area. Maybe it was a dump or someones iron hoard. Anyway I hunted with 5 gallon buckets nearby in an attempt to thin out the iron a bit. Here is a days work on the iron front:

View attachment 1986095
I've had several friends saying it's just not worth digging all that. I don't mind and did I mention it's only a 2 minute drive from my house? Ha!

View attachment 1986092 View attachment 1986093 View attachment 1986094

Also found an interesting brass grommet with a Aug 26 1884 patent date with a No. 3 on it. Maybe used on a flag??

View attachment 1986097

Also found a newer (probably 1990's) high-end knife that will be fun to work on:

View attachment 1986096

There is still a ton of iron in that corner. Would you go back or spend time trying to find greener (and cleaner) pastures?
I have a couple spots within 5 minutes that have a ton of iron like that. I am normally always scouting out new possibilities on a daily basis, but when none come to mind I usually end up digging a wheat or Indian out of these spots with all the iron. Not always do I find anything though, and it's a ton of work in a pretty good sized field. But hey, it's good Practice no matter!! I say go for it on any days that You have nothing lined up. Or until there aren't any more signals 😳
Congrats on the early Dime & Wheat!!
And You're using the right machine😁

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, I'd go for it close by like that. That IS an amazing amount of digging though, might want to pace yourself a bit. Congrats on the silver!

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1986095

View attachment 1986097

View attachment 1986096

Try to get back there again those are nice coins and I’m confident there’s more rewards there

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's amazing how much stuff falls off of farm equipment. Your iron finds look just like mine from old farms no longer here. I'm still looking for the coins though.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice silver! It's just not fair that you have that place so close. Ha ha. The equinox 800 is an outstanding Detector to hit a place like that!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice "S" mint coins that are some tougher dates to find. :icon_thumright:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1986095

View attachment 1986097

View attachment 1986096

Wow! That is an impressive amount of iron you dug. Where the coins truly masked by iron or did you get a scratchy high tone for the coins in the iron? I used my Nox at a very old site and got a scratchy 12, dug a big plug and pulled out the front of a cast iron stove, like 10 lbs of iron. Filled the hole, but decided to swing it again for the heck of it. And the 12 signal was still there, another scoop below where the big iron was and an old nickel popped out. Crazy how the Nox sniffed it out.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job Thad very nice . Do you want to buy ANOTHER digging tool i am sure you almost wore the one you have out LOL !!!
Good Job again

Last edited:

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will find more by going there digging it then setting at home wondering if you should go dig it

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very strong work- Congrats!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''There is still a ton of iron in that corner. Would you go back or spend time trying to find greener (and cleaner) pastures?''

The answer to that question depends on what options you have available. Time is your only enemy & you need to spend it wisely.
We clear iron like that but only on our best Sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions