Ranch Revisited - 8 Years Later with Equinox 800

winslow

Oct 30, 2004
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
There is a small 15 acre ranch right down the road from me (less than a mile) that I detected pretty hard 8 years ago. There was one corner area loaded with iron that I avoided. I decided to go back with a new machine (Equinox 800) and a positive attitude aided by the fact that this place is only a 2 minute drive from my house. Eight years ago I pulled out several seated coins and a number of relics. It's an active ranch with horses, cows (no bull thank god!) and sheep all nicely separated from each other. Now to brave the junky area. Maybe it was a dump or someones iron hoard. Anyway I hunted with 5 gallon buckets nearby in an attempt to thin out the iron a bit. Here is a days work on the iron front:

Iron.jpg

I've had several friends saying it's just not worth digging all that. I don't mind and did I mention it's only a 2 minute drive from my house? Ha!

I did find a 1912S wheat and one nice silver 1897S barber:

Barber obv 1897S.jpg Barber Rev 1897S.jpg Wheat 1912S.jpg

Also found an interesting brass grommet with a Aug 26 1884 patent date with a No. 3 on it. Maybe used on a flag??

Grommet 8-26-1884.jpg

Also found a newer (probably 1990's) high-end knife that will be fun to work on:

Knife KW.jpg

There is still a ton of iron in that corner. Would you go back or spend time trying to find greener (and cleaner) pastures?

Upvote 36

njrelicgairl

Jul 1, 2013
warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master and Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a small 15 acre ranch right down the road from me (less than a mile) that I detected pretty hard 8 years ago. There was one corner area loaded with iron that I avoided. I decided to go back with a new machine (Equinox 800) and a positive attitude aided by the fact that this place is only a 2 minute drive from my house. Eight years ago I pulled out several seated coins and a number of relics. It's an active ranch with horses, cows (no bull thank god!) and sheep all nicely separated from each other. Now to brave the junky area. Maybe it was a dump or someones iron hoard. Anyway I hunted with 5 gallon buckets nearby in an attempt to thin out the iron a bit. Here is a days work on the iron front:

View attachment 1986095
I've had several friends saying it's just not worth digging all that. I don't mind and did I mention it's only a 2 minute drive from my house? Ha!

View attachment 1986092 View attachment 1986093 View attachment 1986094

Also found an interesting brass grommet with a Aug 26 1884 patent date with a No. 3 on it. Maybe used on a flag??

View attachment 1986097

Also found a newer (probably 1990's) high-end knife that will be fun to work on:

View attachment 1986096

There is still a ton of iron in that corner. Would you go back or spend time trying to find greener (and cleaner) pastures?
What are those triangle metal pieces at the bottom of the sheet? are they from a plow? I have dug some of those up.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,d go back,but that,s the kid in me.Love the knife,that,ll look good cleaned up and some new scales.Worth the price of admission right there.

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work! I'm a believer that those close by detecting spots are some of the best. The more you know an area the more effective you can search it. That iron is great at hiding the good stuff....we've all missed some nice finds because of it. Great job!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1986095

View attachment 1986097

View attachment 1986096

Well worth the effort!
Nice Finds! 👍

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VERY NICE !!!congratulations

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1986095

View attachment 1986097

View attachment 1986096

Man, it is always worth clearing the iron! I swear by that. The only way to decrease masking and interference—is to remove it! I’ve cleared many tons of iron since I started detecting. Between 2006 and 2009 I cleared a ton ALONE in my hunts! (I know because I weighed it all when I recycled it as scrap!!). Was it worth the pay in recycling? Hell no! But was it worth it in finds recovered? F@$^# yes!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread