Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. A homeowner in the "old part of town" invited me to metal detect her yard, surrounding her circa 1800 home. The property has an original barn in the middle of the roughly 2-3 acres, and the land stretches back to where old maps show there was an iron forge. It should be interesting to detect over time.

During my first two visits I've collected a random assortment of relics, but surprisingly I've only found one coin: a 1911 Wheat Cent with that great green patina that is often found on copper coins from that timeframe. I already have a 1911 in my book, so I plan to give this one to the homeowner (who will not want it I suspect).

But I'd love help identifying two of the relics, if you'd be willing please. I've included pictures of them immediately after the "group shot":

- Ring with 3 protrusions: The first item below the group shot is round like a ring with three protrusions. One of the protrusions looks to have a break (shown in the picture). Any idea what this is? My hope was that it might be from a gun, but I suspect it's more likely to be related to horse tack.

- Iron with band: the next item below the group shot looks to be iron with some sort of band around it. I thought that maybe it was an iron handle from furniture, with the band being a decoration. But I have no idea. Do you?

The other items that I thought were interesting include:
- I think the "M" is on silver plating from an iron/steel utensil where the iron/steel rusted away. (See top left in group shot). Agree?
- A green pin with the #23 on it, and a Firmin London button from the early 20th century.
- The crotal bell piece is from a large bell, but I didn't find any other pieces.
- in the group shot below the crotal bell piece is a tube with "SR&C" on the cap (Sears Roebuck and Company).
- Two oil lamp burners, one with a patent date of 1884 on the knob
- Two axe heads that I removed the rust from with a wheel grinder.

I've covered maybe 20% of the property and there are A LOT of signals I didn't dig, so this property should keep me busy for a long time!

- Brian

Group shot:
4euQXjk.jpg

Ring with 3 protrusions: What is it?
2cIOi1j.jpg

Iron with band: What is it?
V3ECLob.jpg

Silver plating from utensil (Top left in the Group Shot, and this is the backside):
lkPbYzm.jpg

Backside of #23 pin and Firmin button:
xSYfcqI.jpg

Upvote 8

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Top left, or second to last pic, looks like sterling handles for a butter knife, imo. Many were not marked as just the handle and not the blade made of sterling.
Maybe think about digging the privy?

Good luck and happy hunting, all.

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ring with the protrusions is the handle from a candlestick holder:

Candlestick holder.jpg