✅ SOLVED Random patterns on an old rock or markings?

deldave

Jul 9, 2013
coastal Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, ACE 250, pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This size rock is way out of place in our farm fields here in Delaware. It was covered with mud when I picked it up but I was curious so I brought it home. I have never seen this many marks on a field stone before and it fits my hand very well. As a novice I would appreciate all thoughts or opinion. Thanks ,deldave

Attachments

• IMG_20180605_174922.jpg
    IMG_20180605_174922.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20180605_174808.jpg
    IMG_20180605_174808.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20180605_174746.jpg
    IMG_20180605_174746.jpg
    369.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20180605_174624.jpg
    IMG_20180605_174624.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20180605_175033.jpg
    IMG_20180605_175033.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
deldave, despite some of the needless detours that have occurred in your thread, it's a good bet that most of the folks who recognize your rock shows plow scars are folks who have lots of experience hunting for artifacts in cultivated fields. I know that's why I went with plow scars, and others have opined out of an abundance of such experience as well. Not sure why you described the rock as way out of place in your farm fields, unless perhaps you farm relatively rock free soil? At any rate, disregarding the one poster who seems to be confused, the consensus expressed is your best bet.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I knew as much arrowheads as you I'd jab one through my eyeball

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way the fervent denials and lack of any intrigue or inquiry by supposed men of science makes any sense is in this context. Some highly intelligent and forward thinking individuals realized that if stuff like I have posted is deemed artifact, the market is instantly flooded and devalues the entire INDUSTRY. And just like on here when grim voices his opinion it is so, and you better have real"stones" to dissent.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent some pics to a local professor, and he said though he saw vague form I lacked a cultural reference and the burden of proof was on the proposer. That is a paraphrase but the real response. I wrote back my cultural reference was neanderthal and I was ready to propose. How do you think that went?

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grim only used your name in example of someone respected, no personal attacks intended or offense taken even if intended

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, calling a member a troll or implying a member is a troll or trolling violates our rules, please post by our rules.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah but...neanderthal?...really
If you did some simple reading and research on the subject you can see the major shifts happening in the understanding of how advanced ancient humans were and that there is a claimed neanderthal kill site dated to 130,000 BP in San Diego. No human bones found just sign of activity upon and strange rocks near mammoth bones

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
no...no aliens or bigfoot (feets?) either...no loch ness monster and Jesus did not ride a dinosaur. anyone can claim anything, just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you did some simple reading and research on the subject you can see the major shifts happening in the understanding of how advanced ancient humans were and that there is a claimed neanderthal kill site dated to 130,000 BP in San Diego. No human bones found just sign of activity upon and strange rocks near mammoth bones

I have met and personally know the lead authors of the Cerutti Mastadon site. You are mistaking the findings entirely. What is possible is the following: if the site does reflect human activity, there were no less then 5 distinct species of the genus Homo in existence 130,000 years ago. Therefore, we cannot be certain which species of human was present at that site, if indeed the site does in fact demonstrate the presence of human beings. It could be Homo sapiens, or it could be Neanderthals, or Denisovans, etc. It was an exciting find, but more sites of the same age, with actual identifiable stone tools, something not present at the Cerutti site, would need to be found to advance the case that humans were present in the Americas that long ago. You are mistaken in saying the site is claimed to be Neanderthal. No such claim was ever made by the authors of that study. Try getting your facts straight.....

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly understand I am using Neanderthal in a generic sense as everyone knows the term. Obviously not conclusive but a crack in the door.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1704.PNG
IMG_1707.JPG

I wish their pic had scale

Attachments

• IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    771.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Certainly understand I am using Neanderthal in a generic sense as everyone knows the term. Obviously not conclusive but a crack in the door.

And I stand by the correction I made to your statement. That said, they convinced me they had something, and something really exciting, in that site. I was impressed by the evidence they presented. Old World archaeologists are more amenable to their conclusions then New World archaeologists. That is to be expected, if only because we have only recently toppled the Clovis First paradigm. Yes, it is a crack in the door, and I hope I live long enough to see far more compelling sites of that age discovered. The authors of that study are making every effort in that direction. Time will eventually tell, hopefully, the story of the peopling of the Americas....

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Stringtyer

Jul 29, 2017
The Old North State
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Tesoro Cutlass
Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the original question ... it looks like a common field stone that has been abused by plows and disc harrows for many seasons. It is interesting that you said the stone is not common to your general area. That may be a good piece of information if you want to keep researching the piece. Do you know what the stone is (sandstone, granite, schist, etc.) and whether it is common to areas near you? Your county may have a soil map available that will show where common minerals may be likely.

Just for fun, you could look carefully at the cut marks to see if there is any metal deposition such as might be left from struck by farming implements. You should be able to that very well with a simple magnifier and good lighting. I spent a few years as a failure analyst working in a metallurgy lab so I have a tendency to look at things too closely but I enjoy doing it.

Of course, if you look closely at the pattern, it looks like an airport diagram. Maybe you have found an ancient alien aviation map. You might want to look on Google Earth to see if there are any matching patterns on the ground in your area.

Or just stick with the distressed rock theory.

Greg Lafla

May 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info often thought the same about making it to see it happen, it's the only explanation that checks enough boxes for me

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I knew as much arrowheads as you I'd jab one through my eyeball

Take 6 months off and study artifacts before you come back here and make extraordinary claims and hijack threads with untruths.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread