Rare Book "We are Escaped" 5000 copies What is it worth?

SlagMaster

Aug 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this book at a flea market. I have searched all the rare book websites and search engines and cant find another one. 1st edition 1931 limited to 5000 copies reprint 1932 5000 copies so i guess this is one of the 1932. Title is "We are escaped" by Mr. F. Strauss, the rev. E. Weller, Mrs H.D. Hayward , and Miss M. Monsen with preface by rev. W.H. Aldis published by? The China inland mission, London Philadelphia, Toronto, Melbourne, and Shanghai... Agents: The religious tract society 4 Bouverie street, London, E.C.4... Printed in Great Britain by R. & R. Clark, Limited, Edinburgh. It is in rough shape but all there. Any info would help thanks.
DSCN0913.JPG
DSCN0919.JPG

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this book at a flea market. I have searched all the rare book websites and search engines and cant find another one. 1st edition 1931 limited to 5000 copies reprint 1932 5000 copies so i guess this is one of the 1932. Title is "We are escaped" by Mr. F. Strauss, the rev. E. Weller, Mrs H.D. Hayward , and Miss M. Monsen with preface by rev. W.H. Aldis published by? The China inland mission, London Philadelphia, Toronto, Melbourne, and Shanghai... Agents: The religious tract society 4 Bouverie street, London, E.C.4... Printed in Great Britain by R. & R. Clark, Limited, Edinburgh. It is in rough shape but all there. Any info would help thanks. View attachment 2024209 View attachment 2024210
Creakydigger might be the man you want.he,s a dealer and seller of antique books like this. Other than I find it very interesting,I know nothing about it.Good luck on your ID!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Worldcat shows 6 copies in various university libraries:

Considering that yours is a later printing, and the poor condition it is
in, I doubt it would have much value. Interesting find though.

Crash is right...this is right in Creakydigger's wheelhouse.

OP
OP
S

SlagMaster

Aug 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worldcat shows 6 copies in various university libraries:

Considering that yours is a later printing, and the poor condition it is
in, I doubt it would have much value. Interesting find though.

Crash is right...this is right in Creakydigger's wheelhouse.
Thats really cool thanks

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even with a limited edition, there is probably a limited population of potential buyers for the subject matter. And in the book world , condition is everything. Even if there was a market for it, the condition would drive it down.

Force_of_Iron

Aug 19, 2019
Formerly Ohio, now south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just go on abebooks (american book exchange) and search for it. You will get what people are selling.

Always ignore the highest and move down the list to find the more realistic prices.

If there arent many it might either be rare or simply nobody wants it.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello

I know this is an old post, but I was bored and am trying to get back into the TN community after two years off.

To be honest I can't find any other books like yours. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it's valuable, since there's probably not a large market out there for it. As we all know, something's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"We are Escaped." By Mr. F. Strauss, the Rev. E. Weller, Mrs. H.D. Hayward, and Miss M. Monsen, Etc. [Accounts of Escapes from Brigands in China. With Plates.].
PublisherChina Inland Mission, 1931
Length132 pages

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread