RARE BUCKS OF AMERICA BUTTON, REVOLUTIONARY WAR?

G

GWW

Folks I am posting this message here as well. Should have been here in the first place I guess...

I found this button at a remarkable dual site in Worcestor County Maryland. The site is a farm field on Sinepuxant Bay with 2 vanished home sites with obvious out buildings. Well over 200 items have been found and both sites date from 1720ish to 1790ish. One site has produced some military items including this hand etched button showing a deer jumping over a tuft of grass. I didnt think much of it until a friend showed me a picture of an identical button in a book, the picture was labled "Bucks of America" and the word "RARE" listed beside it. Unfortunately the book gives no information about its rarity, value etc. I have found some info about this black malitia on the net and I am excited to find out if my find is truly from the Bucks of America malitia. Can you help?

You can get more info here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q="bucks+of+america"&btnG=Google+Search

Attachments

• z57.png
    z57.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 21
  • zz59.png
    zz59.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 25
  • z60.png
    z60.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 24

vonrall

Apr 17, 2009
That is an old fairy tale that started in the 1920s. The leaping stag buttons are civilian hunt or decorative buttons of the era. No such unit in the Revolution either. It was one of those silly myths that once started was aped in every button book since.

GWW said:
Folks I am posting this message here as well. Should have been here in the first place I guess...

I found this button at a remarkable dual site in Worcestor County Maryland. The site is a farm field on Sinepuxant Bay with 2 vanished home sites with obvious out buildings. Well over 200 items have been found and both sites date from 1720ish to 1790ish. One site has produced some military items including this hand etched button showing a deer jumping over a tuft of grass. I didnt think much of it until a friend showed me a picture of an identical button in a book, the picture was labled "Bucks of America" and the word "RARE" listed beside it. Unfortunately the book gives no information about its rarity, value etc. I have found some info about this black malitia on the net and I am excited to find out if my find is truly from the Bucks of America malitia. Can you help?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q="bucks+of+america"&btnG=Google+Search

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Although "little is known about Bucks of America", I still don't know if you can flatly dismiss it as civilian unless you have some proofs either way. Albert does list this button (GI 17), despite some questions, and it is a fact that the leaping buck was incorporated into a patriotic flag flown after the Revolution.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"There was no such unit and it is yet another example of the attempted rewriting of history to appease certain "groups""

I don't know about that one way or another Rando. All I'm saying is that the symbol of the leaping buck was known to be used on a flag directly after the Revolution, so that proves it did have significance beyond just decoration. Whether it stood for "young bucks" or something else entirely we don't really know for sure, but it did stand for something.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen this same thing happen with the New York Legion,it was quoted as the "New York Lancers",(no such thing)it is a shame as all be it rare when a N.Y.L. button is dug it is misidentified and a preciuos piece of Early California history is "temporarily",lost.

vonrall

Apr 17, 2009
johnnyi said:
Although "little is known about Bucks of America", I still don't know if you can flatly dismiss it as civilian unless you have some proofs either way. Albert does list this button (GI 17), despite some questions, and it is a fact that the leaping buck was incorporated into a patriotic flag flown after the Revolution.

Albert was just copying what the 1920s "History Written with Pick and Shovel" NYHS field report said and they were just guessing. There was no such unit in the Revolution, if that isn't proof enough I can't imagine what would be. The older reference books must be used with caution. Albert's book while excellent particularly on the 19th Century buttons contains many mistakes on the Revolutionary period because at that time no research had been done. I knew "Dewey" Albert quite well and bought many of his buttons before he passed away. A fine gentleman!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
vonrall said:
That is an old fairy tale that started in the 1920s. The leaping stag buttons are civilian hunt or decorative buttons of the era. No such unit in the Revolution either. It was one of those silly myths that once started was aped in every button book since.

GWW said:

Then what is this?

http://www.masshist.org/database/827use-onview-id

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin

Attachments

• Bucks of America flag.jpg
    Bucks of America flag.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 607

vonrall

Apr 17, 2009
As I stated "not" in the Revolution and even the historical Society website agrees with that. Most likely this is an American branch of "The Ancient and Honorable Order of Bucks" an English fraternal group of the time, much like the Masons. That's probably why the badge and flag say "Bucks of AMERICA" to make the point they are not the English branch. Not a military unit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread