Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hurt my back pretty badly right before Christmas and still can't dig holes, but I went out this weekend a couple of times to hobble around and watch. mbcuce felt bad for me and agreed to dig and let me swing his detecter some. Amazingly, with some very limited detecting, I found a couple of nice relics.

The best is the Confederate lined block-R button. I think it's pretty rare. The soil was not kind, but it cleaned up fairly well. I'm not seeing many examples online and fewer still that show any lines.

The guard is probably from a small sword. It has some neoclassical imagery that is very similar to some sword parts that I found a few years ago.

Thanks for looking.

rifleman obverse.jpg
rifleman reverse copy.jpg
guard.jpg

Upvote 30

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hurt my back pretty badly right before Christmas and still can't dig holes, but I went out this weekend a couple of times to hobble around and watch. mbcuce felt bad for me and agreed to dig and let me swing his detecter some. Amazingly, with some very limited detecting, I found a couple of nice relics.

The best is the Confederate lined block-R button. I think it's pretty rare. The soil was not kind, but it cleaned up fairly well. I'm not seeing many examples online and fewer still that show any lines.

The guard is probably from a small sword. It has some neoclassical imagery that is very similar to some sword parts that I found a few years ago.

Thanks for looking.

View attachment 2003729 View attachment 2003730 View attachment 2003731
Those are some super finds. That sword guard is outstanding! I hope your backs heals quickly so you can do some more swinging at that honey hole! Congratulations!

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks for looking.

Nice job!! I have to get new friends that would dig for me. 😰

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for looking.

Very Coool!!! Congrats!!!

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't remember seeing a CS "R" button posted here before. Congratulations on a very nice find.
I concur. I can't remember having seen one either. They area a rare find any day. What a cracker day!

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone, for the well-wishes for my back. It's always a little bad, but this time I was putting on my left sock and I guess pinched my sciatic nerve. Holy crap! It laid me out and still hurts.

mbcu was definitely a good sport to dig some holes for me, especially when I found better stuff than him. He's out of shape too and I was afraid that if he hurt himself I would not be able to drag him back to the truck.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't remember seeing a CS "R" button posted here before. Congratulations on a very nice find.
Same here.

Your post made me curious, so I searched this site, going back about 20 years, there have been a couple of script-R's and a very beat up block-R like mine. There was also a reproduction and a civilian button that looked sort of similar. There could have been a few others that I missed, but it does seem to be pretty rare.

We don't find many Civil War relics in our area, and when I dug the button, we assumed it stood for "rifleman" but had to google it to be sure.

Got home and looked in Albert's Button Book. It's CS 203.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible finds and great teamwork- heal up and GL going forward!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing finds
Congrats

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What date is the Sword Guard? (Looks kind of late 18th C?) But I'm no good with weaponry.

oldmxrat

Silver Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool finds, congrats!
Heal up quick! I had to have spinal fusion about 10 years ago, so I know that pain well.

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What date is the Sword Guard? (Looks kind of late 18th C?) But I'm no good with weaponry.
Yeah, these were from two different sites and I think the sword guard is late 18th C. That period would fit the site and the Classical Greek influence in the relief would support that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread