🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Rare Etched Pre-Columbian Bowl?

TreasureHunter02

Dec 27, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Recently purchased this Pre-Columbian piece at a small local auction and was hoping I could receive some insight on it. It is said to be Mexican but that is all I have. I've tried to research to see if there are any similar pieces but have been unsuccessful. Any help is appreciated!

IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0221.jpg IMG_0222.jpg IMG_0223.jpg IMG_0224.jpg

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this is Myan influenced, but dating it is going to be tricky given anyone could have used such a design from a Myan period to date. You would almost have to be able to carbon date the actual pottery. I don't think that can be done at all. On Mesoamerican Mexican site origins of pots and other ceramics show most having red ocre color mixed fully coloring the pottery very red.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe this is Myan influenced, but dating it is going to be tricky given anyone could have used such a design from a Myan period to date. You would almost have to be able to carbon date the actual pottery. I don't think that can be done at all. On Mesoamerican Mexican site origins of pots and other ceramics show most having red ocre color mixed fully coloring the pottery very red.
I agree. It looks Mayan influenced. A cacao drinking cup. But it's very crude by Mayan standards. I would consult an expert in the field to find out more info.

Upvote 2

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope an expert confirms your purchase as authentic - it's dang cool whatever it is.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The etching appears modern, added later and was crudely scratched out.

I know little about this type of pottery, but it does seem logical that
if the etching were done at the time it was made it should show the
same patina/aging as the rest of the exterior.

Upvote 5

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know little about this type of pottery, but it does seem logical that
if the etching were done at the time it was made it should show the
same patina/aging as the rest of the exterior.

I agree. There's no doubt the patina in the etching would have to match the rest of the piece. The engraving is modern. Without examining the piece in person it's impossible to say if the engraving was added to a genuine artifact or if the overall piece is modern, but it does look like it's potentially real. Unfortunately, if it's real with modern etching it has no real value. I generally use a microscope to look for dendritic crystal structures that only occur over time. That's usually enough to confirm that an item is at least not modern as it requires many years of constantly changing moisture and mineral conditions to form these crystal structures.

I have close to 100 pre-Columbian pieces although I don't really collect them, so I'd consider myself a novice as far as styles and cultures go. My expertise is in Bronze Age through Greek and Roman period pottery and bronze and they make up a majority of my antiquities collection.

Upvote 3

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add ,, the feet look suspect to me too,. They are crude and just pushed on and the raidus's built up by pushing clay in where they attach to give them more support, like a beginner school pottery class would do. I would say it was a school pottery class piece that was later carved.

If you look at this pre columbian piece, it's more what you'd expect on the feet, more integrated and streamlined, not an afterthought.

precolumbian.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 3

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that etching was done with a rotary tool... and is that a speech bubble coming out of his mouth?...really?

Upvote 2

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that etching was done with a rotary tool... and is that a speech bubble coming out of his mouth?...really?
Might be blowing a bubble with bubble-yum!

Reactions: Fat
Upvote 1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, the patina should be uniform in the etching and it isn't.

Reactions: Fat
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread