Rare Meteor? revisiting my find from 2015

ChrisBug

Greenie
Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making a new post to upload a couple newer photo's. This object was completely surrounded by the crust in the photos which i broke off completely. It's about the size of a golfball and weighs 368 grams not including the crust, so 3/4 an lb. It's Extremely dense and non magnetic. It seems to have lines consistent with the widmanstatten pattern of meteorites as you can see in the up close photo. It's made of Mainly Iron but has nickel, silver, zinc and rhodium in it as you can see from the analysis readings. Definitely looks and feels other worldly. The crust doesn't seem to be rust, it seems to be a completely burnt layer. The two analysis readings represent both the crust and the rock itself. The rock when in light sparkles like a diamond. Im completely stumped and have been trying to figured out what it is for 6 years now. It was found metal detecting out in the ocean about 12-18 inches below the sand. Thoughts?

Attachments

• p4.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 75
  • p8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • p9.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • asset (1).jpeg
    asset (1).jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 60
  • asset.jpeg
    asset.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20210728-101221_Signal.jpg
    Screenshot_20210728-101221_Signal.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20210728-101030_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210728-101030_Gallery.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 43

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Why don't you have a professional take a look at it? Either that or just sell it on ebay as a "meateorite".

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

ChrisBug

Greenie
Apr 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im trying to get in touch with a few professionals, I emailed 6 recently only one answered and told me to go to a university so now I have been emailing geology professors at the university of Reno and still no response yet. Definitely not an easy task to have professionals look at it... the professionals i did have look at it in person already said they absolutely believe it to be a meteorite but no 100% difinitive answers yet. I still think it's a rare meteorite , the only reasons i get for it not to be one were that its not magnetic though its over 96% iron and that the nickel content is far too low but how do we know the amount of nickel in every meteor? Im stumped but im trying hard to get it into the right hands. The specific gravity of it that i keep getting is 6.43 but that doesnt make sense for it being mainly iron and other denser metals...

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've already given you the contact details for an expert laboratory with considerable experience in meteoritics that can test it for you, on your other thread (linked above). So, I think you're not actually "trying very hard" to get a valid answer... You're trying very hard to convince yourself that it is a meteorite and looking for someone to agree with you.

Everything you have told us about the specimen says it's not a meteorite and the pictures confirm it. That's only my opinion of course.

If you're baulking at an outlay of $30 for testing, think about this. IF it's a meteorite with the composition, properties and appearance you are providing then it will be a scientific "first" of international importance and completely unique to the extent that, after registration with the Meteoritical Society, you could likely name your own price and probably retire on the proceeds.

It's your dollar, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions