Rare Rollerball Discoidal ?? E-Bay has one of these Listed As Authentic and Rare ??

OP
OP
J

Just Amazed

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2910196105.jpg

What Are Your Thoughts ??........

Attachments

• image-2017977851.jpg
    image-2017977851.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 238
  • image-1684269170.jpg
    image-1684269170.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 210
  • image-3712893398.jpg
    image-3712893398.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 215
  • image-372375805.jpg
    image-372375805.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 220
  • image-275370935.jpg
    image-275370935.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 248

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like a sandstone abrading stone if found on a site around Tampa Bay....don't know your area.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"The Circle Roller style is unique among all discoidals in that it is the only style that is not symmetrical. One side is flat and the other side is domed. Excavations in north Georgia suggest that this discoidal style may have been used for an entirely different game than chunkey. Its find and distribution patterns suggest that it was a northern Georgia style, perhaps radiating from the Etowah Complex near present day Cartersville, Georgia. Circle Roller discoidals are made from some of the most attractive stone materials ever used for discoidals. They are encountered in beautiful amber quartz and other translucent materials. The Circle Roller style ranges in size from two to nearly four inches in diameter."

http://arrowheads.com/discoidals/632-mississippi-discoidals-ancient-sports-collectibles

OP
OP
J

Just Amazed

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Circle Roller style is unique among all discoidals in that it is the only style that is not symmetrical. One side is flat and the other side is domed. Excavations in north Georgia suggest that this discoidal style may have been used for an entirely different game than chunkey. Its find and distribution patterns suggest that it was a northern Georgia style, perhaps radiating from the Etowah Complex near present day Cartersville, Georgia. Circle Roller discoidals are made from some of the most attractive stone materials ever used for discoidals. They are encountered in beautiful amber quartz and other translucent materials. The Circle Roller style ranges in size from two to nearly four inches in diameter."

http://arrowheads.com/discoidals/632-mississippi-discoidals-ancient-sports-collectibles

Thanks Again, That was very Informative !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew there were several types of discodals and game stones. Even some made from clay. This was the best I ever saw and thought it was a biscuit style possibly used for chunky. Typically they are round and flat and polished.Cupped was chunky game, un cupped was a game stone. I could be wrong though.
Not my piece.

100_1384.JPG

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be Just Amazed. Usually a dicodal is pecked or polished and very round. They made them very well. There are many natural rocks that are already in that shape though.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Yes, yours is just a rock. This is a discoidal and TNMountains posted a picture of another one.

Hippy

Attachments

• IMG_2864.jpg
    IMG_2864.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
J

Just Amazed

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be Just Amazed. Usually a dicodal is pecked or polished and very round. They made them very well. There are many natural rocks that are already in that shape though.

Look, I'm not sure Either, that is why I ask, I know it fits the description, flat on one side, domed on the other,it rolls across the Floor, has strike marks, and made out of Amber Quartz. Found Near Colorado River in Bastrop, Tx. where Lots of Artifacts Have Been Found.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have a pic of one found in my area. So far it is the only one ever reported as being found around here. They are very rare. The nice ones anyway. This one is made from marble and was found on a side of a local creek.

Attachments

• 100_3699.JPG
    100_3699.JPG
    289.2 KB · Views: 99
OP
OP
J

Just Amazed

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, yours is just a rock. This is a discoidal and TNMountains posted a picture of another one.

Hippy

Please Refer To Charl's Post. -I Do Think This Fits That Description

OP
OP
J

Just Amazed

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have a pic of one found in my area. So far it is the only one ever reported as being found around here. They are very rare. The nice ones anyway. This one is made from marble and was found on a side of a local creek.

Hey Rock, That is A Very Nice Piece, All of These Pictures that are being sent are Typical Discoidals. The Piece That I Am Talking About Is Not Typical.... Please Refer To Charl's Post .
Thanks For All Your Help !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread