RATS!!!

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I?ve been struggling with rats around our property. In the past regular wood and wire rat traps seemed to get the job done but this years brood seems keen to the traps. I don?t care to poison them as we have other animals around.

Anybody have any out of the ordinary suggestions? Or maybe your retired, board and care to come man a shot gun and a lawn chair for a few days? I?ll buy beer....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
some years, it's mice for me here.

A variety of bait samples far removed from each other can help find what's good at the time.
I bait traps. then have some smaller bait samples near the set usually.

Lure can help. But like bait , what lure works right now? That could be ascent. Or a feather on a string free to move. Or a raw egg (that rats can't get to). Or a stone that looks like an egg...

You could try blending sardines with peanut butter. Mixed until sardines are only small pea sized pieces or smaller.

Having dogs , if other baits are not working , I use a breadbag twist tie to secure a piece of dry dogfood to a traps bait pan/trigger.
I also make "cubby" sets. Traps covered by being inside a container. Keeps weather off , and a critter crawling in usually ends up pinched.

Do be scent free handling your traps. Even the site we put a trap can pick up scent. Our scent can linger a long time. Some rats don't care and associate our scent with just us being around. Rats that associate human scent with trouble , sidestep loud human scent.

Rats have been adapting to persecution a long time.
Change what you're trying . And always have an experiment brewing in at least one set. Even a blind set unbaited at just the right pinch point....And we can create funnels/pinch points too.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_20171027_081236699_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171027_081236699_HDR.jpg
    980.6 KB · Views: 33

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having similar problems this year in our chicken coop. My old pump-up Benjamin pellet pistol gave up the ghost so I bought a C02 pistol/rifle (Diana Chaser) with a red-dot holographic sight and a "tactical" flashlight under the barrel. In the past eight evenings (two trips to the barn to "sweep" the area) I have shot 15 rats. Ours are roof rats. Since the beginning of the year I have also placed a Have-a-hart in the coop with the chickens (six trapped there) and unbaited Victor snap traps along the barn walls where the chickens (and dog) don't have access (11 killed in those). I also have placed Tomcat posion stations (yes, I hated to do that) which I loaded with an apple "flavored" block bait. The active ingredient is Bromethalin. I was VERY reluctant to use the posion as we have "volunteer" barn cats. Our are indoor bums . . . but that's fine.

I'm trying to remain careful with the bait blocks - the three stations I use are locked and I check the whole area every morning for carcasses BEFORE the dog goes out. The traps were basically ignored until I tried smearing peanutbutter on the blocks and a little dab at the enterance of each trap. Immediate success. So far I have removed 8 rats but I find "bits" where the survivors and mice have helped themselves to the easy protien. I open the barn and listen for the flies. They help pinpoint the deceased rats. All told 40 have been removed this year. Unknown how many are deceased in various tunnels and warrens under wood-piles, hay bales and behind equipment. There is definately the smell of death permeating the barn and attached coop.

The red-dot sight is not a night sight, and the rats skedaddle as soon as the flashlight goes on. So I pre-align as best as I can with the available light and click on the light with my left thumb. Rats "talk" and I have homed in on some by listening to their little "mews" and "meeps". Good sport as they seem very seldom to pause in indecision.

The target is five shots from 25 feet - good rat distance. And the supressor really does almost eliminate the sound. Without it the pistol is half as loud as a .22 LR +/-. With it there is just a little "sup" noise.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• E9B675B9-7093-4CFE-B93D-145A86F49FF5.jpeg
    E9B675B9-7093-4CFE-B93D-145A86F49FF5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 239
  • 37220212-8563-46B4-BF42-B4F95D9C0B7A.jpeg
    37220212-8563-46B4-BF42-B4F95D9C0B7A.jpeg
    998.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That target you shot is probably a collectors item! I've never seen a rat here, only deer mice. Lots of deer mice. Gary

OP
OP
O

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for taking the time to respond guys. I’ll try a few of these things and report back. I do like the idea of picking up a new plinker. I like that more than the 4-10 I was considering posting up with.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got to put one of those in my arsenal!!
Having similar problems this year in our chicken coop. My old pump-up Benjamin pellet pistol gave up the ghost so I bought a C02 pistol/rifle (Diana Chaser) with a red-dot holographic sight and a "tactical" flashlight under the barrel. In the past eight evenings (two trips to the barn to "sweep" the area) I have shot 15 rats. Ours are roof rats. Since the beginning of the year I have also placed a Have-a-hart in the coop with the chickens (six trapped there) and unbaited Victor snap traps along the barn walls where the chickens (and dog) don't have access (11 killed in those). I also have placed Tomcat posion stations (yes, I hated to do that) which I loaded with an apple "flavored" block bait. The active ingredient is Bromethalin. I was VERY reluctant to use the posion as we have "volunteer" barn cats. Our are indoor bums . . . but that's fine.

I'm trying to remain careful with the bait blocks - the three stations I use are locked and I check the whole area every morning for carcasses BEFORE the dog goes out. The traps were basically ignored until I tried smearing peanutbutter on the blocks and a little dab at the enterance of each trap. Immediate success. So far I have removed 8 rats but I find "bits" where the survivors and mice have helped themselves to the easy protien. I open the barn and listen for the flies. They help pinpoint the deceased rats. All told 40 have been removed this year. Unknown how many are deceased in various tunnels and warrens under wood-piles, hay bales and behind equipment. There is definately the smell of death permeating the barn and attached coop.

The red-dot sight is not a night sight, and the rats skedaddle as soon as the flashlight goes on. So I pre-align as best as I can with the available light and click on the light with my left thumb. Rats "talk" and I have homed in on some by listening to their little "mews" and "meeps". Good sport as they seem very seldom to pause in indecision.

The target is five shots from 25 feet - good rat distance. And the supressor really does almost eliminate the sound. Without it the pistol is half as loud as a .22 LR +/-. With it there is just a little "sup" noise.

attachment.php

attachment.php

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a single break-action/pump pellet rifle about 15 years
back, and it came with a full-sized 4x scope. Doubt I've put 5
rounds through it since I bought it..:laughing7:

Think I'll make me some type of safe, indoor target (with backstop)
and see if I can get that scope sighted in.

The world's greatest mouser recently went to kitty heaven, sadly. Callie
was 17, a real character, and rodents feared her name... Bow.gif

DSC_0011-2.jpg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try planting these in or around your home to keep the mice away: any type of mint, amaryllis, sweet pea, lavender, daffodils, wood hyacinth (or squill), grape hyacinth, alliums, catnip, camphor plant, elderberry, euphorbias, and wormwood. * Oak and bay leaves are also known to repel rodents.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Stoeger Air Rifle, .22 caliber. It's the kind you break in half to cock, and I THINK it shoots about 1600 fps so can take out a rat or even a larger animal. I don't really shoot it, but keep it in case something gets after the chickens and won't leave and I don't want to traumatize the neighbors.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That target you shot is probably a collectors item! I've never seen a rat here, only deer mice. Lots of deer mice. Gary

Yeah. I still have a pad of them I figure I purchased in 1975 from an older fellow who repaired airguns and Coleman lanterns & stoves in his basement. They were probably 25 years old when I bought them. I also have an old Webley Tempest pistol that needs new springs and seals . . . but it was cheaper to buy a new pistol than the bench-charge just to have that looked at.

When we first moved here I occasionally saw timber rats (look like big deer mice) in our pasture. About two years ago something - maybe a inhabited bale of hay(?) - changed in our coop and we started noticing turds and tunnels all over the place. That was my introduction to roof rats.

Some years ago we were in Portsmouth, NH and walking along a wharf THE ADMIRAL noticed two "woodchucks" out on a grassy knoll about 20 feet away. They were Norway rats as big as our medium sized cats! Turns out they had decimated the local duck population that nested in the grassy spots beside the shore. I'd be out with 12 gauge or a centerfire rifle if we had them in the barn/coop. I never believed the "City Rat" stories until I saw that pair.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fine shooting.
Nice Ford!

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Putting a few fake owl or hawk decoys around will scare the begeezus out of them and they'll hit the road.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an Airedale Terrier and if he doesn't put the fear to flight into them a bird statue probably won't. ;-)

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Putting a few fake owl or hawk decoys around will scare the
begeezus out of them and they'll hit the road.

Had one of those sitting next to my front porch...the 'coons
ripped it's head off.. behead.gif

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used to have 5 aviaries with various parakeets & conures. They are messy & the rats had a great time! I wouldn't use poison but had a BB gun & got a few. Also peanut butter on snap traps got a few more. 2 bad ass Siamese cats did the trick. I only have 1 cage of birds now, still have my 2 clowns & no rats for years. 20210530_184605.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread