tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spending Thanksgiving in the low country this year and have the pleasure of hunting a plantation just north of Charleston. Over the last 5 years we hunt about twice a year and have found everything from a gold thimble to a 3rd regiment SC rev war button along with several colonial gun parts, copper coins, hundreds of flat buttons of different sizes and types. This week didn't disappoint. This place is loaded and luckily they still plow a small area along the oaks. The find of the week is a rattlesnake button and a royal provincial rev war button. I am surprised ate the condition of the rattlesnake button after so many years in the ground and exposure to plowing. I can't seem to find much info on this variety but I am super blessed to have found it. What a great Thanksgiving week and hope you all have a great day!

Attachments

• 40477.jpeg
    40477.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 307,513
  • 40479.jpeg
    40479.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 397
  • 40494.jpeg
    40494.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_20211124_141719056.jpg
    IMG_20211124_141719056.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 406
Upvote 59

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spending Thanksgiving in the low country this year and have the pleasure of hunting a plantation just north of Charleston. Over the last 5 years we hunt about twice a year and have found everything from a gold thimble to a 3rd regiment SC rev war button along with several colonial gun parts, copper coins, hundreds of flat buttons of different sizes and types. This week didn't disappoint. This place is loaded and luckily they still plow a small area along the oaks. The find of the week is a rattlesnake button and a royal provincial rev war button. I am surprised ate the condition of the rattlesnake button after so many years in the ground and exposure to plowing. I can't seem to find much info on this variety but I am super blessed to have found it. What a great Thanksgiving week and hope you all have a great day!
Beautiful rattlesnake button! Looks like you had a great day. Happy Thanksgiving!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice !

Well done! I'm envious. A rattlesnake button is near the top of my list.
Your posts from this plantation-site are always memorable. I can't get over the quality of finds that have come from there.
Yes sir they are. This place was literally untouched and there is some lost history there because I can tell by the volume of stuff we have found that it was a settlement for 40-50 years. Everything from the very late 1600s to the very early 1800s. Even the occasional Williams cleaner bullet. Thank you for the comment!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Attachments

• RPV01.PNG
    RPV01.PNG
    126.3 KB · Views: 56
  • RPV02.PNG
    RPV02.PNG
    159.4 KB · Views: 55

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great saves, wtg

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought this was an interesting and informative site, don't know whether you've seen it before.

Thank you for this information! Very informative. There have been some buttons from both sides found at this site. I have attached a photo of the button after water Elmer's glue mixture.
I thought this was an interesting and informative site, don't know whether you've seen it before.

No I haven't seen this site before so thank you! It explains these buttons well

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for this information! Very informative. There have been some buttons from both sides found at this site. I have attached a photo of the button after water Elmer's glue mixture.

No I haven't seen this site before so thank you! It explains these buttons well

Your restoration of the Royal Provincial Button was fantastic. :thumbsup:Pre-1800 British Military relics are not very common in this part of the country, my area was primarily settled from 1820 - 40.

Thanks for your response,
Dave

OP
OP
T

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your restoration of the Royal Provincial Button was fantastic. :thumbsup:Pre-1800 British Military relics are not very common in this part of the country, my area was primarily settled from 1820 - 40.

Thanks for your response,
Dave
I didn't attach the photo as I had stated so here are both buttons after being restored. I used 1/2 elmers and 1/2 water on the RP button to preserve it and a warm mixture of peroxide to remove the crud from the rattlesnake button. I was pleased to see how much gilt was left on the rattlesnake button. Thanks for your information again!

Attachments

• Buttons.jpg
    Buttons.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 68

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread