Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re-gridding a relatively small area in an old park that I previously pulled many old US coins from in mutifrequency 1 and 2 modes with the Legend. Considered the spot “done” but today stopped back there and decided to run over the same area in 20KHZ. Many more partial pull tabs, a few new wheats, and surprisingly the non US coins. Just an interesting experiment … wondering the potential value of hunting spots repeatedly across different frequency settings. To me at least despite the finds 20KHZ in the park was a bit annoying; specifically the machine continuously giving off false high tones and a VDI of 60 which I am just guessing might have been deep big iron.

Attachments

• 033F84E1-64C3-4204-963D-A6E9A351EA31.jpeg
    033F84E1-64C3-4204-963D-A6E9A351EA31.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 157
Upvote 8

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higher frequencies like 20 KHZ are better at finding low conductors hence your finding more aluminum and possible the foreign coins. Lower frequencies around 4 or 5 KHZ are better at finding high conductors like silver. I am surprised you missed anything in multi.

OP
OP
Clad Crusader

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Higher frequencies like 20 KHZ are better at finding low conductors hence your finding more aluminum and possible the foreign coins. Lower frequencies around 4 or 5 KHZ are better at finding high conductors like silver. I am surprised you missed anything in multi.
Sure thing, but there are vids up on YouTube I believe of people demonstrating single frequency hitting a more solid tone on targets than when in multi frequency. I’m not sure how much that generalizes but all I know is that I’ve been over this small areas a dozen time in multi and the wheats were very.loud and obvious but then again could have just missed them first time. Also, the notion that low frequencies are good for high cond…do you think that holds true for coins on edge? At least in my experience in hunted out areas I’ve pulled more high conductive coins in M2 (high frequency) than the M1 (low frequency program. I’m not sure just learning

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clad Crusader

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is interesting. Do you think that you wouldn't have found those items if you were using multifrequency instead of the 20?
I am not sure. But more specifically I wonder if I would have dug them. There are some vids on YouTube of people showing that when in single frequency it sometimes gives a much more solid/crisp tone than when in multi. So begging the question that if that’s true am I sometimes passing up junk sounding tones in multicthat are actually good. Who knows just experimenting.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re-gridding a relatively small area in an old park that I previously pulled many old US coins from in mutifrequency 1 and 2 modes with the Legend. Considered the spot “done” but today stopped back there and decided to run over the same area in 20KHZ. Many more partial pull tabs, a few new wheats, and surprisingly the non US coins. Just an interesting experiment … wondering the potential value of hunting spots repeatedly across different frequency settings. To me at least despite the finds 20KHZ in the park was a bit annoying; specifically the machine continuously giving off false high tones and a VDI of 60 which I am just guessing might have been deep big iron.
Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great saves and thanks for the notes on 20KHz. I have noticed the same issue with readings at 60, even worse in 40KHz. They don't usually repeat though, and I figured it was likely my sensitivity. I swing at 30 nearly all the time so figured the unit was close to overload, or maxed out for the setting. I almost never get a 60 on 15KHz

OP
OP
Clad Crusader

Clad Crusader

Nov 16, 2020
Peoria, IL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great saves and thanks for the notes on 20KHz. I have noticed the same issue with readings at 60, even worse in 40KHz. They don't usually repeat though, and I figured it was likely my sensitivity. I swing at 30 nearly all the time so figured the unit was close to overload, or maxed out for the setting. I almost never get a 60 on 15KHz
I don’t know if you experience this but to me there is a different between and actual tone and a fake tone. Can’t really describe it but “bass” wise in the head phones I can feel of a tone is actually something or if lacks substance and is just falsing. Who knows maybe I’ve been detecting too much lately and am losing it

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don’t know if you experience this but to me there is a different between and actual tone and a fake tone. Can’t really describe it but “bass” wise in the head phones I can feel of a tone is actually something or if lacks substance and is just falsing. Who knows maybe I’ve been detecting too much lately and am losing it
you might actually be losing it :) I definitely hear a "fullness" or "richness" to the tone when its a real target.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread