Re-salvaged Lab Specimens

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently re-salvaged these two lab specimens from my "rock pile" by my workshop where my less than perfect pieces go (some make it back for further evaluation!). I've not made the final determination on these. Opinions requested and welcomed.

DSCN0003.JPG DSCN0005.JPG
DSCN0006.JPG DSCN0007.JPG
DSCN0008.JPG DSCN0009.JPG
DSCN0010.JPG

Got a few more pics to follow...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have some pieces like that as well in some Tupperware containers, some that look like what is posted and of milky quartz (and quartz in general). The left one 1st picture on top looks like a scraper; possibility hafted. Nice finds T, don't blame you for holding on to all of those.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Mike gave a good assessment of your finds Terry... Great pieces to be asking for opinions on...

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It pays to hang onto things. When I first started detecting all I was after was coins and jewelry, all rusty stuff went in a bucket. Years later I would see a picture or post and realize that some of the "stuff" in the bucket were artifacts!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
?Tool? is a catch-all for most of the undetermined pieces. Both items have obvious work around the edges. They could both have resulted from a stubborn piece of quartz that didn?t work out as planned. Both could be failed pre-forms. The 1st looks like thinning work failed. It?s short, but overly thick. Yet the wide fanned edge could have served as a very nice cutting edge.
The 2nd (jmo-you have them in hand) could be a backed knife, an edge scraper, or again a utilized -failed preform.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tdog

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you all very much for responding. Mucker, I was hoping you would chime in as I know you have handled and found a lot of quartz artifacts. You summed up my thoughts nicely on both pieces with your response.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread