iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you guys can give me a thumbs up or down on those arrowheads. Came across these at an antique store. Most look legit, but a few made me hesitant. There are some that appear glossy or new and shiny. It's like a majority are real, but used a few "moderns" to fill the case.
I could be completely wrong (High probability) so could really use some help on this. Additional dilemma is if majority are real, but a few appear fake, do you still get them? Asking $450 for all. Not sure if this ok to post and apologize and wont do again if its not. Anxious to look for more on my grandpa's old ranch, but saw these and had to ask.
Thanks, or sorry in advance

Attachments

• 20220109_173034.jpg
    20220109_173034.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 117
  • 20220109_173042.jpg
    20220109_173042.jpg
    1,023.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220109_173046.jpg
    20220109_173046.jpg
    989.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220109_173052.jpg
    20220109_173052.jpg
    844.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220109_173058.jpg
    20220109_173058.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 20220109_173105.jpg
    20220109_173105.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 3

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
those look to be Columbia River points, I see many that I am familiar with. The sizes look right, the lithics look right, the styles look right. $450 is a top price. An EBAY auction price for that group would be more like $300.

OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those look to be Columbia River points, I see many that I am familiar with. The sizes look right, the lithics look right, the styles look right. $450 is a top price. An EBAY auction price for that group would be more like $300.
Thanks for feedback đź‘Ť Price seemed high to me as well. Have spent the last couple hours on ebay and does seem 250 to 300 is the range it should be. Was confident in all but a couple that seemed too perfect.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
... the more I look and think about, $450 is cheap for authentic points and a foot or so of beads. $10 ave on high grade lithics even with broken and breaks is lowball..
yes, sold one at a time I agree, but selling them as a set is never the way to get the best price. Those are nice examples too.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
An interesting group.

I would suggest against using ebay for any sales price.

I would suggest instead using an auction house like liveauction, proxibid or Cowan’s. Not just one but those and more. All have pros and cons. Too many to get into here. But not all houses upload hammer prices and photos on past and archived auctions. So often you have to watch current auctions. Even on live auctions and others you will find auction houses that hawk reproductions and soon you will know who treads in the grey area.
iliveauction.jpg

If you could haggle with the seller to get a lower price you may have a deal if you could get them for less. Its all a gamble. Do the dance and maybe get a better price. the final result depends on how skilled you are at determining reproduction's versus authentic. Use a powerful loupe, ask about a guarantee. If the give the guarantee get the best authenticated and if they fail, return them

If they are firm, and your not 100% authentic, walk away. Many reproductions out there.

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have enough education on point to know one way or the other. But the do make aq nice display!

OP
OP
I

iliveinahole

Dec 20, 2021
Eastern Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An interesting group.

I would suggest against using ebay for any sales price.

I would suggest instead using an auction house like liveauction, proxibid or Cowan’s. Not just one but those and more. All have pros and cons. Too many to get into here. But not all houses upload hammer prices and photos on past and archived auctions. So often you have to watch current auctions. Even on live auctions and others you will find auction houses that hawk reproductions and soon you will know who treads in the grey area.
View attachment 2002742
If you could haggle with the seller to get a lower price you may have a deal if you could get them for less. Its all a gamble. Do the dance and maybe get a better price. the final result depends on how skilled you are at determining reproduction's versus authentic. Use a powerful loupe, ask about a guarantee. If the give the guarantee get the best authenticated and if they fail, return them

If they are firm, and your not 100% authentic, walk away. Many reproductions out there.
Very much appreciate your advice and experience. Have been burned once before with buying arrowheads that ended up being reproductions. In that instance I asked if they were real and he said he wasn't sure. This time the store owner swears they're all real. He showed me 3 other frames with points that came from the same family and said he'll do all four for $1400; otherwise they're $500 a piece. When I asked him if he could guarantee their authenticity, he said he know they're real and that he would help sale them if I didn't wasn't happy with them.
Very stressful....but so think it's a good collection. Haven't held or seen any outside of the case, so haven't seen them real up close. Would say at least a vast majority definitely appear real. There are just a few that seemed to bright and vibrant, or colors I've never seen like blue and purple.
My grandpa had a very large display case filled with arrowheads and another smaller box with more. Many years after he passed away someone broke into the house on the ranch and stole the display and 12 old rifles from the late 1800's and early 1900's. It makes my family and I sick to this day. I have always wanted to attempt to fill back that void by building back the collection.
Apologize for the novel and blabbering on. Thank you so much for the time, information, and guidance. Can't tall you how much I appreciate it.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
your story makes me pretty pissed. Boy howdy I understand your pain. If you can afford it, then by all means try to recreate what he had...BUT ... were I you, I would also try to stay in a single cultural group... as opposed to some from the Columbia, some from Florida, some from Ohio... but that is just me.

The points look fine to me and that cultural area is my thing on this forum. The points you posted are not outstanding and pretty common so to fake them would not bring much money. They also appear to be mostly from a more historical phase and so not valuable from an paleo standpoint. I don't see any reason to fake the point styles that you have in that frame. If the other frames seem to be from the same collection that is a bonus. Try to get some/as much info about the original collector and area as possible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread