Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After years of being mocked about trying to find buried treasure, someone finally has!
Talk about cool...so there's hope for me too. :laughing7:

https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news ... ch-8780152

My only wish is that they'd posted some close-up pics of the chest and the lock, as it looks to date from the Georgian Era. I also wish they would've offered up theories on how or why it ended up being "buried behind a mound of sand at the bottom of a cliff behind a raised bank."

The glass toilet water bottle appears to date from the 1860 - 80 period. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
Dave
ldb-jennie-fitzgerald-treasure-mar2022-01-crop.jpg
ldb-jennie-fitzgerald-treasure-mar2022-05-crop.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spy one coin showing a date....1899. That puts the deposit of the chest at that date or later, based on terminus post quem. Of course, their are older items in the chest, the trunks placement was 1900 or later. I would have been flipping out as i dug that one out, hearing coins rattling around inside.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
The wet dream of everyone on here, that’s certain! There’s some Norfolk detectorists kicking themselves in the arse today I bet 😂

Additional thought: If she found it while clearing litter, then Karma’s wheel landed in the right spot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow....I want one !! That's incredible !! Great article Dave!! Cheers mate happy hunting !!
Thanks for your post Bart, hope you and your family are all doing well. :thumbsup:

The wet dream of everyone on here, that’s certain! There’s some Norfolk detectorists kicking themselves in the arse today I bet 😂

Additional thought: If she found it while clearing litter, then Karma’s wheel landed in the right spot.
Thanks very much Dallas, the ground is thawed my friend, time to get back out there! :laughing7:

I spy one coin showing a date....1899. That puts the deposit of the chest at that date or later, based on terminus post quem. Of course, their are older items in the chest, the trunks placement was 1900 or later. I would have been flipping out as i dug that one out, hearing coins rattling around inside.
Thank you for the info VN, I honestly didn't take that close a look at the finds.
Hope you're doing well these days,
Dave

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
After years of being mocked about trying to find buried treasure, someone finally has!
Talk about cool...so there's hope for me too. :laughing7:

https://www.northnorfolknews.co.uk/news ... ch-8780152

My only wish is that they'd posted some close-up pics of the chest and the lock, as it looks to date from the Georgian Era. I also wish they would've offered up theories on how or why it ended up being "buried behind a mound of sand at the bottom of a cliff behind a raised bank."

The glass toilet water bottle appears to date from the 1860 - 80 period. :icon_scratch:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!
Dave
View attachment 2017436 View attachment 2017437
My misses had a dream yrs ago we found a buried treasure of gold Sovereigns here.
My hopes have just been reignited! 👍

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My misses had a dream yrs ago we found a buried treasure of gold Sovereigns here.
My hopes have just been reignited! 👍
This treasure chest was obviously found without the use of a metal detector. So when I'm detecting I have to continually remind myself to, "keep your eyes to the ground, some of the best finds are eyeball finds." :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread