Rebirth of a dredge

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, I am refitting a nice (big) aluminium dredge & posted a youtube video of my progress so far, feel free to like it or subscribe if you want notifications as as the build progresses 👍👍
Thanks,
John.

D69BBB7D-AF07-4594-A55D-5A696DA951D5.jpeg

Upvote 10

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That’s a beast. I thought you had aluminum pontoons now I see it has barrels. I like barrel floats but it just seems like a lot of unnecessary diamond plate.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great! Hope she’s hanging low in the water holding a half ton of gold.

What’s up with the too much diamond plate comment? It’s like some people just have to find something they don’t like about nearly everything.

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks great! Hope she’s hanging low in the water holding a half ton of gold.

What’s up with the too much diamond plate comment? It’s like some people just have to find something they don’t like about nearly everything.
It's a great looking dredge, without doubt. I think the diamond plate comments come from the perspective that a lot of this dredge is aesthetic and adds weight with no purpose.
I have built several dredges from scratch and my goal was always durability and functionality. I am utilitarian so "pretty" always comes after function...and only if it doesn't impair function.
I can easily see where 200 pounds or more could be lessened on this dredge...but that opinion come from someone who has packed a heavy dredge down a steep canyon many times...your results may vary
This is a beautiful dredge but the OP will curse it the first time he packs it in.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to be living on it, then being able to walk on it is a must. It started out under powered unfortunately, so it was moth balled and basically abandoned.
Then John bought it last year and has been rebuilding it ever since. It's going to have great suction now with the new Mercedes Diesel. Yup, it will be heavy with the diamond plate but it sure looks better then having a plywood deck on it. Then having the new oversized Proline flare coupled to it puts this at a cut above many of the dredges that I've ran in the past.
It's a production dredge that will be set up and used every day on his claim. Definitely not designed for the weekend warriors.
I think this was the video from before it was abandoned -

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Looks nice and I expect it will get you lots of gold ! The only problem I see that could be a possible problem is where the riffles are over the expanded sheet ! This would allow fine gold to migrate under the riffles and out of the box. On my 4 inch dredge I have the expanded metal cut separately into sections that are welded to the riffle's so everything is flat across the bottom of the sluice eliminating any material migration . That is one nice dredge you built ! Good Luck on your adventure !!:occasion14::icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Aquatek

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks nice and I expect it will get you lots of gold ! The only problem I see that could be a possible problem is where the riffles are over the expanded sheet ! This would allow fine gold to migrate under the riffles and out of the box. On my 4 inch dredge I have the expanded metal cut separately into sections that are welded to the riffle's so everything is flat across the bottom of the sluice eliminating any material migration . That is one nice dredge you built ! Good Luck on your adventure !!:occasion14::icon_thumleft:
Thanks, the sluicebox will be a totally new design from what you see in the video, this was how I bought it… 👍👍👍

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquatek

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're going to be living on it, then being able to walk on it is a must. It started out under powered unfortunately, so it was moth balled and basically abandoned.
Then John bought it last year and has been rebuilding it ever since. It's going to have great suction now with the new Mercedes Diesel. Yup, it will be heavy with the diamond plate but it sure looks better then having a plywood deck on it. Then having the new oversized Proline flare coupled to it puts this at a cut above many of the dredges that I've ran in the past.
It's a production dredge that will be set up and used every day on his claim. Definitely not designed for the weekend warriors.
I think this was the video from before it was abandoned -

Reed’s right, that was the original video of it, unfortunately the political climate in Mali didn’t allow it to go to Africa with the original owner/builder so it was trailered up and slowly the components were rotting away when I bought it.
The good thing about the mercedes engine is that it can run on used (filtered) cooking oil which will be a plus when presenting it to the authorities prior to permits etc.
I’m in no rush to just throw it together. As I buy/fabricate and fit quality pieces of equipment to the dredge I will bring it back to life.. A friend just made my splitter for me…
John.

Attachments

• 0D40A4D0-AF7D-4735-B7A9-5ACA00692E78.jpeg
    0D40A4D0-AF7D-4735-B7A9-5ACA00692E78.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1CE7CD82-8C5A-413A-B6C7-EB5BA23ED444.jpeg
    1CE7CD82-8C5A-413A-B6C7-EB5BA23ED444.jpeg
    349 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
OP
OP
Aquatek

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a great looking dredge, without doubt. I think the diamond plate comments come from the perspective that a lot of this dredge is aesthetic and adds weight with no purpose.
I have built several dredges from scratch and my goal was always durability and functionality. I am utilitarian so "pretty" always comes after function...and only if it doesn't impair function.
I can easily see where 200 pounds or more could be lessened on this dredge...but that opinion come from someone who has packed a heavy dredge down a steep canyon many times...your results may vary
This is a beautiful dredge but the OP will curse it the first time he packs it in.
With the ground I am looking at, packing it in will consist of backing it into the water on the trailer 😝👍

OP
OP
Aquatek

Aquatek

Nov 20, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got the new Proline flare and powerjet home. A massive saving of weight as the old homemade stuff was thick stainless 👍👍

Attachments

• CEA05F33-EC10-4484-9EE0-822C0AB36CE6.jpeg
    CEA05F33-EC10-4484-9EE0-822C0AB36CE6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • F066A021-70E0-4E28-8056-4E8F101FDE6C.jpeg
    F066A021-70E0-4E28-8056-4E8F101FDE6C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • A06607DB-8B19-4136-B3AE-DF46BCCF4556.jpeg
    A06607DB-8B19-4136-B3AE-DF46BCCF4556.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 1323352D-136C-41CA-8FE3-45502ED96126.jpeg
    1323352D-136C-41CA-8FE3-45502ED96126.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Back when I had my 4 inch dredge I went on a weight reduction plan for it. Everything that could be lightened up I did ! BUT you have to keep in mind that some of that weight is needed for stability of the dredge , other wise the dredge will bobble like a cork in faster water and that will / could upset the fine gold in your sluice , and cause it to move down in your sluice and potentially back OUT to the stream !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread