xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is going to sound like a joke but it's real: Do any of you exercise to stay in good detecting shape? My arm gets pretty tired from swinging my AT Max and I think I am getting a bit of carpel tunnel in my wrist. I know I could buy a harness but I feel like I should be able to swing this thing all day without running out of juice. I just joined a gym. Can anybody recommend any specific exercises for peak swing strength? I know that for many of you detecting is the gym but I'm trying to get to the next level of fitness. I've been active my whole life I'm no couch potato but I want to be able to find ALL the treasure not just a coin or two. Haha. Thanks.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually do arm and shoulder exercises with weights and squats and lunges specifically for metal detecting. I am almost 59 and don't have any issues detecting but I want to do this hobby for a very long time so I figured I would do targeted exercises to ensure that the most used muscle groups stay strong.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi trade in old wife for younger one . TP

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stretching and knee exercises.

Don't know about wrists. I do some hand dexterity and strength exercises to delay Dupuytren's Contracture problems.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Squats, dead lifts, bench presses, rows, and overhead presses make up a good, solid, core routine. Add to that some bicep curls and forearm curls (good for swinging a detector), triceps extensions, calf raises & sit-ups.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Learn to not look at the detector. The tones should be enough. Walking with the head bowed down is bad posture and has consequences.
Devise a sling. One guy made one out of a baby carrier.
Head up, steady walk. The head up also keeps you from walking into trees.

I have heard of some that will throw pennies in front of MD'ers that walk with head down to fool them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Switch to a Deus. 1.9 pounds. We are all wearing ourselves out, knees, back, everything swinging heavy machines.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found over the years that bending and stretching exercises, combined with targeted curls can be VERY beneficial.

1) BEND down and firmly open the cooler

2) STRETCH and fully extend both arms into the cooler and firmly grasp an 8-ounce (16-oz if you are advanced) beer in each hand

3) Return to the standing up straight position, open both beers, and do alternating 8-oz CURLS from your waist, to your mouth

:skullflag:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Im all for being in good shape.
maxresdefault.jpg

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found over the years that bending and stretching exercises, combined with targeted curls can be VERY beneficial.

2) STRETCH and fully extend both arms into the cooler and firmly grasp an 8-ounce (16-oz if you are advanced) beer in each hand

3) Return to the standing up straight position, open both beers, and do alternating 8-oz CURLS from your waist, to your mouth

Will adding to my daily curriculum, thanks Terry

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

SOLOMON FOR PRESIDENT

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detecting IS my exercise. 😁 I'm 67 and can still go 5-6 hrs on a good day. If I'm swinging the Etrac, I just flip the phones and switch arms after a few hrs. If the Equinox, no need to switch. When I can't get out, two 20 minute stints on the stepper while curling 4 lb weights.

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
I do full body 30 mins workout using resistance bands weekly plus I do train with a personal trainer twice a week. None of that is for metal detecting but if you stay in shape you can swing more without becoming fatigued quickly. The full body workouts can be found on YouTube.

Jacza

Apr 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing less, find more ;-)

What I mean is, don't swing the whole day, make some short breaks e.g. 10 minutes every two hours. It's also good for your concentration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread