Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Items found alongside two different ponds here in Harwich. The early 1900's Mary Garden makeup compact was on the grassy hill side overlooking the pond. Probably lost during a picnic long ago. Makeup and mirror still intact. Jack or pen knife has lost it's blades to rust but still holding together. The sides look like whale bone which was use to be plenty full here on the cape back in the day. If it was ivory I think it would have held up better. I think this is a Civil War period Massachusetts Reserve button. Condition is pretty good. What look like a pocket watch I'm guessing is probably a locket case. Has MP stamped at the top. Might have held a porcelain image but was not in the hole. Was buried in a area that has been mostly mid 1700's items. A decent 1891 Indian Head Penny right in the middle of the trail down less than a inch! This pouring spout is different. Looks like a tank turret! A complete small buckle probably early 1800's. It could have held a wick if used as a whale oil lamp? Last is a long lead weight with a small hole at the top. Fishing related maybe? Base is not threaded, so how it attached is not known. Many thanks for looking. Bill

Attachments

• pic 1.jpg
    pic 1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 146
  • spout 2.jpg
    spout 2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 79
  • spout 1.jpg
    spout 1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 1891 indian head penny.jpg
    1891 indian head penny.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 75
  • locket.jpg
    locket.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 89
  • mass reserve 1860s.jpg
    mass reserve 1860s.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 91
  • pocket knife b.jpg
    pocket knife b.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 89
  • pocket knife a.jpg
    pocket knife a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 69
  • compact.jpg
    compact.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 87
  • mary garden.jpg
    mary garden.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 26

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Items found alongside two different ponds here in Harwich. The early 1900's Mary Garden makeup compact was on the grassy hill side overlooking the pond. Probably lost during a picnic long ago. Makeup and mirror still intact. Jack or pen knife has lost it's blades to rust but still holding together. The sides look like whale bone which was use to be plenty full here on the cape back in the day. If it was ivory I think it would have held up better. I think this is a Civil War period Massachusetts Reserve button. Condition is pretty good. What look like a pocket watch I'm guessing is probably a locket case. Has MP stamped at the top. Might have held a porcelain image but was not in the hole. Was buried in a area that has been mostly mid 1700's items. A decent 1891 Indian Head Penny right in the middle of the trail down less than a inch! This pouring spout is different. Looks like a tank turret! A complete small buckle probably early 1800's. It could have held a wick if used as a whale oil lamp? Last is a long lead weight with a small hole at the top. Fishing related maybe? Base is not threaded, so how it attached is not known. Many thanks for looking. Bill
You had a good day. Love that militia button. Congratulations

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Congrats !!
I think you're right about the wick holder for an old whale oil lamp. Like crashbandicoot said, the eyelet probably had a chain attached so as to not lose the cap. On another note, my college baseball Coach/Manager also coached/managed the Harwich team in the Cape Cod League and was on the Rules Committee. He still lives in the area & is in his 80's. To say you live on a "nice" part of the planet is a huge understatement. Great for detecting to boot!! CHEERS !! (See photos below)
51733Handmade-Antique-Finish-Brass-Kerosene-Oil-Lamp-With-Single-Wick-SNP-621-(1).JPG

images (2).jpg

old-oil-lamp-isolated-on-white-background-picture-id505589741.jpg

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats !!
I think you're right about the wick holder for an old whale oil lamp. Like crashbandicoot said, the eyelet probably had a chain attached so as to not lose the cap. On another note, my college baseball Coach/Manager also coached/managed the Harwich team in the Cape Cod League and was on the Rules Committee. He still lives in the area & is in his 80's. To say you live on a "nice" part of the planet is a huge understatement. Great for detecting to boot!! CHEERS !! (See photos below)
View attachment 2025593
View attachment 2025594
View attachment 2025595
Thanks Jose. I found this image of a couple of whale oil lamps with the angled wicks. I think the one I found fit on top of either a can or glass reservoir. It was next to a root cellar that goes back. I found a Hibernia coin there dated 1722.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 21
  • il_1140xN.3092260878_jlwk.jpg
    il_1140xN.3092260878_jlwk.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 22

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds. I really like that Mass militia button. I usually don’t care much about compact cases, but that one is really cool. Congrats neighbor!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds Bill- Congrats! Goes to show there's still plenty of great stuff to be had out there (just not here on Cape Cod, for all you non-Cape hunters :laughing7: )

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Bill- Congrats! Goes to show there's still plenty of great stuff to be had out there (just not here on Cape Cod, for all you non-Cape hunters :laughing7: )
Thank Jeff. I get some help from friends who own chunks of land. Happy hunting!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Hunt!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread