Recent find... Could be significant... Or not...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let's try this find...

Here are a few pics of one of my recent beach recoveries from the area between Frederick Douglas Beach and John Brooks Park, in Fort Pierce... Inshore from the 1715 Fleet shipwreck believed to be the Nuestra Señora de Los Nieves. As far as I am aware, there has not been anything found from any of the 1715 Fleet sites to enable us to say definitively which ships are which... We all have our thoughts and educated guesses on this, but nothing written in stone...

Well, my recent find is this silver 17th century medallion (with broken bale unfortunately)...
Its not an earthshaking recovery, but I found it to be interesting none the less due to the inscription on the backside of the medallion! After much research, it is my understanding that it is a representation of "La Nuestra Señora de Las Nievas" and has "Nieva" inscribed on the back! Is this just a coincidence that this medallion with this inscription representing this personage be recovered in this location? What are your thoughts, anybody?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 199
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 168

thetigers2

Apr 20, 2009
Homosassa,Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS & my good old eyes...Oh and my Mischievous Mermaid a helping...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting, I like

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ok, let's try this find...
Is this just a coincidence that this medallion with this inscription representing this personage be recovered in this location?

I am very logical when it comes to research. Definite proof is needed. But you have a strong case of coincidence there regarding the La Nuestra Señora de Las Nievas. Very nice find.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Darren... Yeah, I am not saying that this find confirms anything at all... Just a pretty neat correlation between the find and what ship it is commonly believed to be.

I was pretty jazzed to find much of anything down that way in the first place as I rarely ever hunt that area, but was pretty pleased to come away with this piece.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a Great find!
That's practically my backyard.
I was just there today and found something interesting though not nearly as much as that.

OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you find GatorBoy?

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's either the nieves or the fragtilla. The captain of the Lima said the nieves wrecked 6 miles from him which would make it either sandy point or Douglas. We're pretty sure it's douglas but proof would be amazing.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple weeks ago I uncovered this while digging a target.

ForumRunner_20130720_181205.png

ForumRunner_20130720_181539.png

Went back and covered that area today found this.

ForumRunner_20130720_181906.png

ForumRunner_20130720_182024.png

ForumRunner_20130720_182305.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130720_181040.png
    ForumRunner_20130720_181040.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 142

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you know what to look for in the different material ..color..composition ..ect.. you can find areas that are down to..or close to the natural beach.
The front beach has nowhere near that much sand on it..alot of it is already out where you are.. to the north in summer and to the south in winter.. Ive been watching these beaches go through that cycle for decades.
There is already a six foot cut a ways back in that new sand and that's only from some south wind for a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhipsFolly

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy is spot on with regards to knowing how to read the beach... I have found some of my best finds at times when most hunters think its not worth hunting because of the renourishment crap. Many of our beaches have low spots, spooned out areas, and occasionally you will find that some places even show signs of "original" dune escarpments... You have to know what you are looking for and looking at...

Nice "donut" GB! And let's see what's in the EO when you clean it up... Hope it's something good for you! Wonder if we hunted the same spot!

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know, I'm more of an underwater guy myself

Gotcha.. That could help you out there also.. Have you noticed any of your finds coming out of material that looks different than the surrounding surface sand?
Pay attention to that
You may be able to eyeball areas that has gathered more dense material over the years and narrow and streamline you search method if it works.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there, goes to show how important it is, to be able to read a beach.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is surely a very interesting find.. wow.
Could you possibly show another photo showing the "N E" in Neva a bit more clearly? It looks a bit like "AE"

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ForumRunner_20130720_214513.png

I retract that sorry.. after zooming I can see it more clearly.

Last edited:

fuzz

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi guys and wow with what u guys have found in new to this game of hunting so any help would be nice i live in the fronter land in idaho what kind of things could i find ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread