Recent rains and flooding may open up or uncover finds lost over time.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Living in KY NE of Louisville I have only heard of the flooding on the radio. After doing some video searching online to see just how bad it is/was I have new respect for those who live on or along the rivers effected. My heart goes out to the people who have had to abandon their homes and businesses.
Pertaining to this recent rain and flooding it struck me that this may wash out areas and or uncover signs lost to time in these valleys. Just a thought to those who have certain areas of interest, check and see if those areas were hit hard by the rains. Today I heard reference to a 'slide' in the Paintsville area. I don't know how large of a an area was hit, but if hillsides are slipping into creeks, you can bet this storm moved material downhill in other areas too. Here are a few videos I found today while searching.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
TXA
Living in KY NE of Louisville I have only heard of the flooding on the radio. After doing some video searching online to see just how bad it is/was I have new respect for those who live on or along the rivers effected. My heart goes out to the people who have had to abandon their homes and businesses.
Pertaining to this recent rain and flooding it struck me that this may wash out areas and or uncover signs lost to time in these valleys. Just a thought to those who have certain areas of interest, check and see if those areas were hit hard by the rains. Today I heard reference to a 'slide' in the Paintsville area. I don't know how large of a an area was hit, but if hillsides are slipping into creeks, you can bet this storm moved material downhill in other areas too. Here are a few videos I found today while searching.

Thanks for photos...

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
the river at Paintsville crested about 5 ft. above flood stage . Area was it pretty hard and paintsville lake held back a tremendous amount of water, near new record amount. we was without power for 4 days but still fared better than a lot.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got down to the Red River Gorge area for some day hiking and to see what the water had moved along the river. Here are some photos of the Red River around where Swift Camp Creek empties into it. Also pictures of Moonshiner's Arch that is nearby.

20210313_173457.jpg

20210313_174651.jpg

20210313_173638.jpg

20210313_171605.jpg

It looked like the river came up about 20ft through this section of the Red River gauged by the debris in the tree branches and all the river sand deposited above and along the banks of the river. Hwy 715 had a wash out and is breaking up between the the concrete bridge and the intersection with Sky Bridge Road. 715 is closed at that bridge heading South and at Sky Bridge Road heading North.

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say Red River do you mean Red Bird River?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing some interesting reading. Chief Red Bird was a grandson of Chief Doublehead. Their bloodline goes back to Aaron brother of Moses. How can this be? They have the Y-Chromosomes in their bloodline.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Elizabeth Caldwell Hirschman in her 2005 book, "MELUNGEONS:THE LAST LOST TRIBE IN AMERICAN" noted that many Jewish sailors from Spain and Portugal "jumped ship" in the Carolinas during the late 1500's to escape the INQUISITION.
This explains Chief Red Birds' Jewish DNA, but not how it was traced to Moses' brother Aaron, or the source of Aaron's DNA for comparison.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elizabeth Caldwell Hirschman in her 2005 book, "MELUNGEONS:THE LAST LOST TRIBE IN AMERICAN" noted that many Jewish sailors from Spain and Portugal "jumped ship" in the Carolinas during the late 1500's to escape the INQUISITION.
This explains Chief Red Birds' Jewish DNA, but not how it was traced to Moses' brother Aaron, or the source of Aaron's DNA for comparison.

Y-Chromosomal Aaron.png

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was under the impression that at the time of Columbus' sailing in 1492 that anyone of Jewish origin was given a choice in Spain to convert, leave or die. This lead to postulating that some of Columbus' crew may have been of Jewish faith and/or origin. I have never pursued any of this though...working full time and having some recreational time is more important to me than chasing everything I see moving down a rabbit hole! LOL

Thanks for the ideas though, something to consider.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I was under the impression that at the time of Columbus' sailing in 1492 that anyone of Jewish origin was given a choice in Spain to convert, leave or die...
During the Inquisition it was mainly convert or die, and NOT an actual choice.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did hear a sink hole opened up along the Swift camp creek trail, dunno if it was due to a slide or cave/mine collapse though. Have to hike that one soon and see whats up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread