Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

The other day I came across this spoon handle, or at least that's what it looks like... and the design is interesting, and I wondered if anyone had come across anything similar. I only found the end of it, and that part is about 2" long. It's about 5/8" wide and it's extremely thin.. apprx. 0.67 mm.

The handle appears to have pine trees flowing from something. I cannot figure it out. Maybe there isn't any meaning, and it's just a very laborious etching on a spoon handle. I believe it's brass but not positive. Not magnetic at any rate.

Here it is... any ideas or feedback would be appreciated. Along with it I found my first V nickel, 1902, and a beat up but readable Indian head, 1865.

Thanks for looking...

IMG_4177.JPG IMG_4171.JPG IMG_4174.JPG IMG_4158.JPG IMG_4154.JPG IMG_4157.JPG IMG_4155.JPG

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RussM, that is a nice assortment! The piece of eating utensil handle may have been part of a fiddleback design. Not sure about the pattern - looks like the lower half of a tree.

Upvote 0

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice! Maybe a grain bale of some kind on the handle, like wheat.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are oak leaves, commonly used on utensils. That's all I recognize.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing!!

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at the pattern in Powerpoint, I thought it might be a bundle of wheat sheaves and a sickle - see pic #1. Then Google that and found the same/similar pattern in pic #2. More info found on https://www.smpub.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/001050.html

Attachments

• Wheat sheaves and sickle 2.jpg
    Wheat sheaves and sickle 2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Wheat sheaves and sickle.jpg
    Wheat sheaves and sickle.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a stylized, "R." My late aunt left my mother a set of spoons purchased as a tourist. And each state had been making them as she travelled. Could this be for Rhode Island?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
invent4hir-- Incredible... you nailed it. Thank you very much!

While the origin and possible meaning for it remain a bit obscure to me, you have certainly found the same image on another spoon handle, given me more to go on, and a basic time frame of it's introduction and reasons for it to show up on silverware.. . very nicely done!

Thanks very much, I am considering this SOLVED as far as I'm concerned... yet it has given me another avenue to maybe find out more about it.

Thanks to everyone here... I appreciate all the input!

Russ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although you've marked this "solved", could we please see the back of the handle? Often the maker's mark runs far enough along the handle that it reaches the fiddleback section. Even if only the tail end is visible that might be helpful.

There has been a lot of discussion on silver forums about who made these spoons (they have subtle differences in the design and don't always have a discernible maker's mark). For sure there wasn't a single maker, but I believe this one might be by Isaac Davis, active in Boston at 32 Cornhill between c.1800-1820. This eBay offering was believed by the seller to be either by Joshua George Davis ('I' was often substituted for 'J' in those times) who was active in Boston between c.1796-1840) or by Isaac Davis, but I can confirm the mark is for the latter:

Davis.jpg

Here's another by R. & W. Wilson:

Wilson.jpg

Robert Wilson began making silver at 25 Dey Street (New York City) in 1803, had moved to Philadelphia by 1812 and was joined in partnership by his brother William in 1825 as "R. & W. Wilson". Around 1860, the factory was listed at the northwest corner of Fifth and Cherry Streets. Although Robert had died in 1846, the company name continued to be used until 1877 when the mark changed to "Wm. Wilson & Son". That makes it a slightly later example and note that the design is crisper, with the shoulders on the fiddleback also sharper. That's also the case for the example posted above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Red-Coat for all that information as well.. this is pretty fascinating stuff.. I took a pic of the back, but there isn't anything that I can see. I'll post it nonetheless as I appreciate all the awesome input here... IMG_4182.JPG

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Red-Coat! Every artifact has a story, if you're willing to dig for it - and that add'l info sure helps:occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread