Recommendation for a good shovel

louisianaman

Jan 4, 2012
New Orleans Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex Plus,Garrett At-Pro, Tesoro Vaquero and Bandido 2 Micromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with a friend recently and he let me use his shovel a Predator "Big Red" it seemed heavy but was built like a tank. I liked it but Predator is out of stock on it. Can y'all recommend a good shovel that is well made?

Upvote 0

Cobradude22

May 11, 2018
Crawfordsville, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don’t know if it’s to late but, I really like my Radius Garden 22311 Root Slayer Nomad,
This thing literally chops through everything lol. It’s gnarly. It was strong enough to pry a giant cast iron kettle out of the ground. Wouldn’t want a different shovel.

OP
OP
L

louisianaman

Jan 4, 2012
New Orleans Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex Plus,Garrett At-Pro, Tesoro Vaquero and Bandido 2 Micromax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine came in a few days ago but it's painted blue.

mtcooley

Mar 19, 2013
Sanford, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
If you like the big red check out the predator model 45 hornet. It is a beast.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with a friend recently and he let me use his shovel a Predator "Big Red" it seemed heavy but was built like a tank. I liked it but Predator is out of stock on it. Can y'all recommend a good shovel that is well made?

The overlooked criteria here was / is the "type" of use the OP intended... The OP did not say where / what type of material said "shovel" would be used.

Personally... i have used every type of digging tool invented i think... i cannot think of any i have not at least tried just to see what and how it does it thing.

Just like a mechanic who needs a tool for each task at hand a detectorist also needs a few assorted to perform proficiently.

For example... shovels are a joke on beaches.

I for one never used a shovel... especially those little ones everyone seems to rave about.

IF you like bending and more work... then go for it... I dont like to make more work and pain.. heh

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000ccc.jpg

Personally only digging tools I use are Wilcox

a 13" Stainless Steel Weeder
Will go through Driveway dirt & Indestructible by me & that's saying something :laughing7:

000aaa.jpeg
and a 22" Long Reach Trawl

000bbb.jpg
Just lay it Sideways & Hammer on the Blade to shape it like a Smile 000ddd.jpg

and it Too should last .

Only Issues I had were I Should have Taken the Handles off & Placed a Coin or Washer inside, So they don't Cut through.

I was lucky though, I Contacted Wilcox to Buy a New handle for my weeder & he sent me a free handle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions