Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is this what you're talking about?

In North Carolina the shadows of the Civil War have long since vanished, but the weapons and relics are still there. In the section of the old northern state called the Piedmont, effects of the war were slight. Still, a Piedmont County, Randolph, is one of the best areas in the South to search for Civil War relics.
A small town in Randolph County named Red Cross was the scene of the last encampment of General Joseph E. Johnston's Confederate army. Thousands of Southern soldiers camped here in an area little more than three miles wide. The sildiers were at Red Cross only a short time when they received word of General Johnston's surrender to General W.T. Sherman The small farmhouse of James Bennett, where the surrender was actually signed, is located near the present city of Durham, North Carolina.
Under the terms of the surrender, the Confederate soldiers were ordered to leave all of their equipment and arms at the campground and return to their homes.
The campground can be reached by going 12 miles southeast of Greensboro, on Highway 49-A. The campground lies due west of the highway at Red Cross. The main part of the campground is owned by a resident of Red Cross. In the past, treasure hunters have been given permission to hunt for relics, and the owner's only request has been that any holes dug must be refilled.
Relics found have included Minnie balls, rifles, cannonballs, belt buckles, breastplates, swords and old coins.

FREEBORN73

Jan 21, 2022
I live within a half mile of this area on New Salem Rd. I have found plenty of 3 ringers and some buttons from civil war times. I have 20 acres that I plan to cover over the next year. I dont think I'm in the campsite itself but there was definitely some shooting and other things happening here. Found lots of unfired bullets along with several that had been fired. Hoping to get lucky and come across something extra good.
Is this what you're talking about?

In North Carolina the shadows of the Civil War have long since vanished, but the weapons and relics are still there. In the section of the old northern state called the Piedmont, effects of the war were slight. Still, a Piedmont County, Randolph, is one of the best areas in the South to search for Civil War relics.
A small town in Randolph County named Red Cross was the scene of the last encampment of General Joseph E. Johnston's Confederate army. Thousands of Southern soldiers camped here in an area little more than three miles wide. The sildiers were at Red Cross only a short time when they received word of General Johnston's surrender to General W.T. Sherman The small farmhouse of James Bennett, where the surrender was actually signed, is located near the present city of Durham, North Carolina.
Under the terms of the surrender, the Confederate soldiers were ordered to leave all of their equipment and arms at the campground and return to their homes.
The campground can be reached by going 12 miles southeast of Greensboro, on Highway 49-A. The campground lies due west of the highway at Red Cross. The main part of the campground is owned by a resident of Red Cross. In the past, treasure hunters have been given permission to hunt for relics, and the owner's only request has been that any holes dug must be refilled.
Relics found have included Minnie balls, rifles, cannonballs, belt buckles, breastplates, swords and old coins.
Thin a mile of the site

SicilianBull

May 23, 2022
I live within a half mile of this area on New Salem Rd. I have found plenty of 3 ringers and some buttons from civil war times. I have 20 acres that I plan to cover over the next year. I dont think I'm in the campsite itself but there was definitely some shooting and other things happening here. Found lots of unfired bullets along with several that had been fired. Hoping to get lucky and come across something extra good.

Thin a mile of the site
Man, would love to come out your way and be a companion during this..Im from Charlotte and love all our local history. Have you looked/found much since this post??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread