Relco Frontiersman

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
If I get it working, it’s going out tomorrow. You can laugh (I am) but it does find things. Sure it might miss a 25 ft motor home, but it still finds SOME things. I’m planning to order a Nokta makro simplex in a few weeks and can’t wait to upgrade. Tomorrow will be like walking you dog one last time before putting him down. I can’t see not using it. I had hours of fun with it in the early 70s. Will send pics IF I get it going.🙏🏼

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
If I get it working, it’s going out tomorrow. You can laugh (I am) but it does find things. Sure it might miss a 25 ft motor home, but it still finds SOME things. I’m planning to order a Nokta makro simplex in a few weeks and can’t wait to upgrade. Tomorrow will be like walking you dog one last time before putting him down. I can’t see not using it. I had hours of fun with it in the early 70s. Will send pics IF I get it going.🙏🏼
Here’s a picture of the tool. I worked picking watermelons all summer to get the cash for it. I believe it was $150+ with 2 coils, hard case and freight. A fortune to a 12 yr old in 1970-71. I LOVED this machine. I had no idea it was bottom shelf.

Attachments

• 550CF249-713E-4833-8231-5D687C18B6FB.jpeg
    550CF249-713E-4833-8231-5D687C18B6FB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

dcisfun

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be gentle swinging the coils and moving them around the epoxy in the coil is brittle tends to crack like an old pretzel taking the copper wire windings with it.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Be gentle swinging the coils and moving them around the epoxy in the coil is brittle tends to crack like an old pretzel taking the copper wire windings with it.
This unit has a speaker issue. Some good tones, some crackle, some just don’t happen. Going to try to re-solder speaker wire connections

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
This unit has a speaker issue. Some good tones, some crackle, some just don’t happen. Going to try to re-solder speaker wire connections
Ok, I fixed a couple of small issues. New 9V battery. We went for a walk. I tried it out on visually obvious metal. It did the following: “found” my mower trailer once the coil touched the trailer frame. “Missed a huge roll of rusted woven wire fencing and a solid iron shepherd hook. Its going to my museum; aka she’d.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Ok, I fixed a couple of small issues. New 9V battery. We went for a walk. I tried it out on visually obvious metal. It did the following: “found” my mower trailer once the coil touched the trailer frame. “Missed a huge roll of rusted woven wire fencing and a solid iron shepherd hook. Its going to my museum; aka she’d.
Shed not she’d. I hate auto correct!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my Relco Frontiersman
I'm conviced it would detect a 25 ft motor home.
as long as I saw it first or was pointed in the right Directon :tongue3:
but it wouldn't detect the tiny 1/4 inch or so coin they gave away free when you ordered their catalog. at least not here with all the iron ore in the ground. BFO Metal Detectors is one of the most rudimentary metal detection systems. :coffee2:
Thanks for the memory !

Last edited:

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The latest detector I bought was a Garret AT Pro, but I still have the first detector I bought; a BFO detector called the Crusader from the old "Association." It still works (after a fashion)!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread