monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a lake house on lake Concordia La. we use to swim and ski all the time there, but the gators have gotten so bad that we have taken 6 out in the last year sunning on our lower deck. My favorite artfact spot has a bayou right next to and I have had them come up on me while walking the bank's. Then you have the wild hogs, bear's, ferral dogs and just about every kind of snakes other than Boas, Python, but they say they may get this far.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote for Dumba$$ of the year. Living in Fl there are just certain things you just dont do. Myakka?snorkeling?..thats one of them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Yea that is a good video.

My mom and step dad lived for 35 years at Lake Walk on the Water by Lake Wales. Way back when he purchased his first airboat he made the mistake of starting that bad boy while it was parked in his driveway. He only made that mistake once.

It like I told my wife about the Farmall; Never start it unless your sitting in the seat with your feet ready and know for sure its in nutral. That bad boy takes OFF as soon as you pull the start lever is pullled when in gear.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not particularly fond of the weather, lightning and monsters that live in Florida. We have an occasional copperhead here (haven't actually seen one in 30 year), and black widow spiders and bees. No gators, no moccasins, no fire ants, no killer bees (especially the ones from Saturday Night Live), no boas, rattlers only in the wilds, basically fewer smokeythecat chompers.

i am with you there, the south has some stuff that makes me remember not to hate winter...

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh water means Gator , leaches , flesh eating bacteria, Amebas

not in my area.... Here it means bass, beavers, and eagles.....they tell me buffalo zoo released a bunch of hellbenders in the area as well, still never seen one though.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some gator shots from our adventures. A couple weeks ago while exploring the St Johns River, near Lake Jessup we came across the grand daddy of them all. Fricken thing was HUGE! Had to be a 14 footer, 2’ + girth. Tried to get in close to get a good pix and he shot off a 4 foot bank, and hit the water coming straight at us. Scary moment. 488BE26D-19F1-4A02-9824-0FEBD38EDF5F.jpeg 7BA6EF99-5451-4B8F-9EC3-D5A57FAE9CFE.jpeg 6356C04C-40B9-4116-A861-23552F14BDFC.jpeg 819EEFEE-5596-4F5A-A197-A270B759EC0D.jpeg 7C6F41AD-ABA3-463D-9FFF-C61324F030B6.jpeg 19E0FD7A-1180-44AC-997B-9D52CCB44F3B.jpeg FB7ACF61-A77B-4B92-85F7-1368EC9EF66F.jpeg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow...Florida is no place for this mountain boy! Hurricanes, snakes,
alligators, crocodile's, spiders, bugs...nope, not for me. no-216.gif

We may have bears, cougars and wolves, but dangerous encounters
are very few. A rattlesnake on this side of the Cascades is extremely
rare, and only a couple spiders you need to watch out for.

Ya just have to tolerate eight months of winter.... cold-1.jpg

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few from the Oklawaha River...

Attachments

• oriver6.JPG
    oriver6.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 41
  • oriver7.JPG
    oriver7.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 40
  • oriver14.JPG
    oriver14.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 46
  • oriver15.JPG
    oriver15.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 40

outlaws15

Jul 1, 2020
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome pictures.

Here are some gator shots from our adventures. A couple weeks ago while exploring the St Johns River, near Lake Jessup we came across the grand daddy of them all. Fricken thing was HUGE! Had to be a 14 footer, 2’ + girth. Tried to get in close to get a good pix and he shot off a 4 foot bank, and hit the water coming straight at us. Scary moment. View attachment 1930400 View attachment 1930401 View attachment 1930402 View attachment 1930403 View attachment 1930404 View attachment 1930405 View attachment 1930406

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the keys we keep an eye open for crocodiles my wife doesn't like it when they come by the house and say hello

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are some interesting/concerning posts on the Florida fossil Facebook pages about this. This individual has a YouTube site showing him petting alligators on the head - now taken down. There are other encounters shown on his videos. The narrative has been called into question. I have seen these and a lot of reckless behavior was demonstrated.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Smallfoot, Found these on the Oklawaha south of the 314 bridge. Bushwhacked in during low water. Looks like a square 10’ dike system with drains. You can see canals dug like it was a steamboat port or dock system. I have researched all the Ports that run north from Silver river but nothing south. There are several to the south. They are about the size of a football field.
Turtle pens? The trees that have grown on the “inside” of the dirt walls look young so it was probably open in the day. Any ideas?
C465FC0F-5AA1-4178-9D2B-4FCD8A5E5F19.jpeg 800D95DC-FF2E-48CE-A990-D85320C642E9.jpeg DFCA63DD-EAAA-4B57-B807-CBD99D06FD58.jpeg 56708FEE-0192-4B88-A89C-14D0A66B471A.jpeg AD912228-52CA-45D1-9601-6EE1E8D1DDF0.jpeg

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flipper those are cool shots. Not sure what they might have been. Might have been a still site. Little too far north to be something connected to the phosphate mining that occurred near the Withlacoochee area south and west of there. May have been related to moving timber out too(but looks too small and positioned wrong to the river)). Cool find! Was that a privy made out of a culvert?

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find any pilings at the river edge?

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flipper those are cool shots. Not sure what they might have been. Might have been a still site. Little too far north to be something connected to the phosphate mining that occurred near the Withlacoochee area south and west of there. May have been related to moving timber out too(but looks too small and positioned wrong to the river)). Cool find! Was that a privy made out of a culvert?
The culverts were at the walls of the dikes, stood up on end, looked like some sort of drain system. That’s why I think they might have been large ponds. I have chirp sonar and found no evidence of piers, pilings or dock but the one has a loop canal dug right to it off the river. One old topo I have showed a building at the corner of the dikes but I didn’t find any ruins. Here is an old map of the Steamboat Ports……..nothing to the South of Silver River 666F0C82-3EF3-47AD-8A1A-6F02624F16B0.jpeg

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The culverts were at the walls of the dikes, stood up on end, looked like some sort of drain system. That’s why I think they might have been large ponds. I have chirp sonar and found no evidence of piers, pilings or dock but the one has a loop canal dug right to it off the river. One old topo I have showed a building at the corner of the dikes but I didn’t find any ruins. Here is an old map of the Steamboat Ports……..nothing to the South of Silver River View attachment 1930642

I'm thinking staging area for timber. They couldn't collect a raft in the river because it's fairly narrow. The canals give a way to get them to the river from the staging area maybe. There's an old saw mill in an adjacent property here that had small dug canals from the woods around me to where the mill was. Easier to float logs than drag them thru the woods.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you happen to cross the old RR berm on your way to those places? There was a Railroad that ran from Silver Springs roughly parallel to the river over to Palatka that was used for transporting timber. It was the Oklawaha Valley Railroad, formerly known as the Ocala Northern Railroad. Some signs of that still exist.
Some old photos of log rafts from earlier times:

Attachments

• log raft Oklawaha.jpg
    log raft Oklawaha.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 52
  • logging the Oklawaha.jpg
    logging the Oklawaha.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 57

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking staging area for timber. They couldn't collect a raft in the river because it's fairly narrow. The canals give a way to get them to the river from the staging area maybe. There's an old saw mill in an adjacent property here that had small dug canals from the woods around me to where the mill was. Easier to float logs than drag them thru the woods.
Very possible, good theory. Ask around, Let me know if you come up with anything else. Thanks!

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you happen to cross the old RR berm on your way to those places? There was a Railroad that ran from Silver Springs roughly parallel to the river over to Palatka that was used for transporting timber. It was the Oklawaha Valley Railroad, formerly known as the Ocala Northern Railroad. Some signs of that still exist.
Some old photos of log rafts from earlier times:
Didn’t see a RR berm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread