relic hunter attacked by alligator

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you happen to cross the old RR berm on your way to those places? There was a Railroad that ran from Silver Springs roughly parallel to the river over to Palatka that was used for transporting timber. It was the Oklawaha Valley Railroad, formerly known as the Ocala Northern Railroad. Some signs of that still exist.
Some old photos of log rafts from earlier times:

Apparently there was a whole string of these sites down the east side of the river. This is the oldest topo I could find anything earlier is blacked out DEC4123F-FB25-4665-8FE2-428672872753.jpeg

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RR Route map:

Attachments

• Ocala Northern RR route map.jpg
    Ocala Northern RR route map.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 52

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very likely! Logging and turpentine were some of the biggest industry here around 1900.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya'll are pretty hard on a guy that's just doing what he loves to do. Gators are here all day long, every day, all year long, every year...he might make some poor decisions but he's out hunting. I doubt very seriously that he swam up to the gator and offered his head!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mating season is not the time to be in waters known to have gators alone in Florida. When we were detecting in the lake searching for signs of an early fort location we had spotters on shore with binoculars and whistles to watch for gators and give warnings as it was mating season and we were only knee deep.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RR Route map:

I think you nailed it. Found a connector line at Sharps Ferry, now 314, that is where I had the 2 buildings marked and there are 2 of the holding ponds right there. FFFB7A92-8311-4B07-B5B6-B43B0D05A430.jpeg

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya'll are pretty hard on a guy that's just doing what he loves to do. Gators are here all day long, every day, all year long, every year...he might make some poor decisions but he's out hunting. I doubt very seriously that he swam up to the gator and offered his head!

Doin what flawda boys do.....he spends more time in the water than most will in a career...if you do it as your main gig in life your gonna interact with these animals everyday....you may get bit !! Swim with sharks...you could get bit....juggle flaming swords...you might get stuck and burnt....drive race cars and fly planes...you could crash !! Hes a good dude...he wasn't trying to get bit !! He gives a percentage of profit to shark conservation. He was a bit discouraged when he found out I was a commercial shark finner....I had to explain how it works and that we don't fin sharks and throw them back....once he knew that we sell every part of the shark and are federally permitted we got on pretty good...he's depressed because the good dive season is slipping by and he'll be out of the water for a long time !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though we get along he was very happy that the US has banned the sale of shark fins. Effectively putting me out of a job as of yesterday !! I was already shifting to the sportfish/diving world already, and was doing less and less shark fishing, so not the end of the world for me. He was happy and posting about it and I was sad and cleaning out my locker on the commercial shark boat....time for me to write the book on what it was like to be a commercial shark finner!! What a job it was...mortal combat every day !!

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Doin what flawda boys do."...:laughing7:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I just have to shake my head at what people fear. If you drove to the body of water you wanted to play in, you probably survived a more dangerous adventure than the dive...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not more than 3 miles from my home as the crow flies a lady was swimming in little Wekiva river with people in kayaks and canoes with in 30 feet when she was attacked by gator, by the time the people around her were able to get her out of the water the gator had taken her arm.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...gator-bite-wekiwa-springs-20150808-story.html

Another woman attacked today, gators love eatinge dogs, it us dangerous to walk dogs near ponds and lakes that have gators.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cl...cks-florida-woman-walking-dog/?outputType=amp

List of gator attacks.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_alligator_attacks_in_the_United_States

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not more than 3 miles from my home as the crow flies a lady was swimming in little Wekiva river with people in kayaks and canoes with in 30 feet when she was attacked by gator, by the time the people around her were able to get her out of the water the gator had taken her arm.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/new...gator-bite-wekiwa-springs-20150808-story.html

Another woman attacked today, gators love eatinge dogs, it us dangerous to walk dogs near ponds and lakes that have gators.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cl...cks-florida-woman-walking-dog/?outputType=amp

List of gator attacks.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_alligator_attacks_in_the_United_States
We must live pretty close if your near Wekiwa. Longwood here.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We must live pretty close if your near Wekiwa. Longwood here.

I'm NW Orlando, almost in Apopka, yes we are very close, I'm in Longwood often. I live on a Lake, the lake is in my back yard, there is a lot behind my house but it stays under water most of the year and it is also a flood plain so builders can not dump any top soil in the lot, there is no access roads to the lots either. I have lake view as far as property taxes go, but for all practical purposes it is lake front as I mow down to the water line and maintain it, I just don't pay taxes on it.

It turns out I guessed wrong, I am 6.5 miles as the crow flies from the Wekiva marina where the attack took place.. I am very close to the Hiawassee and 414 interchange.

From my back porch.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20210531_184110.jpg
    20210531_184110.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... there's gotta be some big lizards in that water TH.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago a lady who lived in the neighborhood was at the dock on Lake Tarpon after getting off their little houseboat... she had a hanging plant on board and she leaned over edge of dock to dunk it in the water to water it... gator lunged and grabbed her arm and pulled her in... then it grabbed her head... husband who was still on boat jumped in and wrestled it off.

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m more concerned with the wild hogs more than the gators. 3 close encounters in the last year. Too close. One on the east side of Lake George and two at Mosquito Lagoon. We have come across some good size gators in the Lagoon exploring. 2B4CC3A8-0A6F-4841-8BE0-54D7C38D359C.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread